This house seemed a lot more luxurious than the previous ones the three of you had shared, and a lot more modern as well. It came with a garden because you loved being outside, finding nothing more relaxing than lying lazily in a hammock with a drink, or letting your fantasy loose in the form of words on paper.

With a step into the direction of the full-body mirror, you began the task of applying a light coat of make up on your unnaturally pale face.

The sparkle in your (E/C) eyes that you used to have was mostly absent even when you told yourself you were truly happy. For how full they should be from the things you had seen, it was a wonder they looked so vacant at times.

They told you you were pretty. They told you they wouldn't wanna see you any other way. You were beautiful. You were happy. They told you this again and again.

You knew from the moment you met them all those years ago that they were trouble, but nothing overly bad. Just trouble as in your typical drug-consuming-and-drinking-teenage-boy trouble.

You couldn't be farther from the truth, really.

"Time to work, (Y/N)." You sat back down on the bed and placed your laptop on your lap to click open some tabs on the computer. Per week you could make about one or two and depending on the finished product, you got paid.

Taking a peek at the clock in the corner of the screen, you still had about two hours until Emma was coming over, ready to take you shopping and going out at night. Time for some much needed girl time.

*~*~*

*Knock*

*Knock*

Hasty knocking on the front door got you up. As you went to open it, a familiar person flew right inside.

It was Emma who latched onto you with a bone-crushing hug, all 5'3" of glossy black hair and bronzed skin. "(Y/N)! (Y/N) fucking (L/N)!"

Without hesitation, you returned the embrace just as enthusiastically. "It's so good to see you Ems!"

"It was about time," she said, pulling away. Emma was wearing a simple green crop top and a black short skirt which barely covered her butt. Slung over her shoulder was a leather Louis Vuitton bag that she had recieved for her birthday. "How you don't get tired of being around your two hubbies all the time is beyond me." She shook her head, sending her straight locks back and forth.

"It's not that bad," you lifted and dropped your shoulders. You didn't want to talk about it. Didn't want to go into detail about how caged you sometimes felt because Emma was the kind of person to go through hell and back when it came to her friends. She was clever, pretty and protective.

She raised a sculpted eyebrow but didn't press. Emma was good like that, instead giving your hand a squeeze and taking a look around the big, gray walls and windows that allowed a lot of light inside. "Gotta admit... This is a nice place." Tugging you forward by the hand, she sent you a teasing wink. "Guess that's one good thing about having a rich boyfriend."

"I'm no gold digger if that's what you're implying..." You laughed together, perfectly in sync as you intended to give your friend a house tour. It was a nice way to get acquainted with the residence.

"Meanwhile mine serves the ladies McDonalds fries day in day out," she told you, tailing behind you into the direction of your bed room. "And not just the edible ones."

You weren't sure what to say to that statement even when it was said with not a single drop of bitterness in it. Emma had an open relationship with her own lover, and while you had nothing against those sort of things, it was something you'd never be able to do.