Chapter 9: Enemies Return

Start from the beginning

(Y/n)'s fists tighten, she had a bad feeling about this. She turns to discuss the current plan with Naruto, but he had disappeared in a blonde flash. Sasuke's scolding from inside the ice dome told her that the irrational blonde had gone inside. Kakashi was being held up by Zabuza while Naruto and Sasuke were being pierced by needles at impossible speeds. (Y/n) felt trapped, useless that she couldn't do anything to help her teammates. She bites down on her lip, sweat dripping down her neck as she tries to concentrate.

"Damn it! I can't die like this, I have a dream!" Naruto screams at the mirror in front of him causing the attacks to cease for a moment. (Y/n) listens patiently, wondering why the boy had stopped his attacks.

"I also have a dream," Haku finally responds, "A dream to protect, work, and follow a special someone. And for that reason, I can become a real shinobi because I am ready to kill."

"Sasuke! Naruto! Don't lose to that guy!" Sakura cups her mouth, shouting words of encouragement at them. (Y/n) gives her a half-smile, she didn't think it was wise to egg on the boys since they could be impulsive. She turns back to stare at the ice dome, she needed to do something.

Kill? He's willing to kill? For Zabuza? Then, that means Naruto and Sasuke don't stand a chance without a plan, I have to help, (Y/n) ponders what she could possibly do. She knew she had to keep Tazuna safe, but both opponents were focusing on other targets and the safety of her teammates was to her, far more important than a bridge builder. I'm an awful shinobi, but I have to help, even if it means...

"Sakura, protect Tazuna," she assertively whispers at the pinkette. Before Sakura could even respond, she runs toward the mirror, bypassing Zabuza and Kakashi, and ignoring the protests coming from her sensei. She had to do something, she just couldn't stand and watch her teammates be impeded by needles.

She wasn't sure what she was going to do. Going into the dome was the wrong choice. She needed to draw Haku out of the mirror trap to give Naruto and Sasuke a chance to formulate a plan. Her fingers wrap around the handle of her whip. Her wrist twists as she snaps the end of the whip towards the mirror where Haku was. Aoi had hissed in her ear, telling her where his scent was coming from.

A hand protrudes from the mirror, grabbing onto the end of the whip. Haku slowly comes through the mirror, leaving half of his body inside. (Y/n)'s grip tightens around the handle to keep him from taking her weapon. Her eyes narrow down at him, trying to convey how she wasn't afraid of him or at least trying to.

Her mind races with thoughts. She needed him to leave the mirror dome. She pulls on the handle, her chest tightening even more. It felt like her heart was about to give out, but she had to continue even though her heart was hammering against her chest.

Black spots appear in her vision as the rattle of chains fills her ears. She shakes her head, trying to concentrate on Haku. When she feels the weight of her whip drop and Aoi urgently hiss in her ear, she knew that Haku was near her. A mask appears inches away from her face, he was so close to her that she could peek through the holes of the mask.

Her breath gets stuck in her throat as Haku thrusts a kunai towards her abdomen, but she leans back, the kunai cutting through the fabric of her hoodie. She leaps backward, her back hitting the metal railing. He's fast!

In a heartbeat, Haku was once again before her, but this time she wasn't going to be able to escape him. He had trapped her between the rails and his body. His kunai comes towards her face, but she blocks it with her own kunai. He pushes the kunai against hers, making her body lean over the railing.

The cold wind licks her neck, the sweat trailing down her forehead, her hand trembling as she uses all her strength to keep him from diving his kunai into her throat. At least she had found a way to distract him. However, she was now seconds away from death if she did not escape and it did not aid that her body was shutting down.