s h i t.

Simon's pov:
Christmas Eve was always one of Simon's favorite days. Him and Sara always woke up early to help their mom with the cooking. Rosh and Ayub's families would always come for dinner and they would all exchange presents with one and other.

His alarm went off about 10 times before he finally shut it off and slumped out of bed. He walked into the kitchen where his mom greeted him with a warm smile, already at the stovetop stirring up food for dinner. The kitchen was already filled with its delicious aroma.

"Buenos días, Simon," his mom said as he grabbed a bagel to snack on. "Can you wake Sara up in a few minutes? She's been sleeping later than usual lately."

"Yeah, of course." he said. He too had noticed this, but didn't think much of it.

"Thank you."

He quickly finished his bagel and went and knocked on her door softly to see if she was already up. "Sara?" he asked, "Are you up?" No reply. He pushed open her door and shook her awake.

"Ughhhh Simonnnnn stopppp!" she complained while swatting at him.

"Mom told me to wake you up."

"Ugh tell her to piss off for me will you?"

"Okay, gladly," he said as he walked out of her room.

"NO SIMON WAIT I WAS KIDDING-"

"Okay fine I won't tell her," Simon said stepping back into her room, "If you tell me who you've been talking to at night. I know that's why you've been sleeping in so much more lately, don't lie."

Sara huffed. "You can't tell Mama, promise."

"Depends on who it is."

"Simonnnnn."

"Okay, fine, fine, I promise."

"Okay well, I've sorta been seeing someone. We're not like official but... And that's who I've been calling at night."

"Sara are you serious? Congrats!!" he said as he sat on her bed and crushed her in a hug. "But why didn't you tell me earlier? Remember, no secrets."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry Simon. It's just with the whole situation between you and Wille, I just didn't want to upset you."

"Sara it's fine! I'm not shattered glass that you have to tiptoe around!" he said as he let go.

"Okay okay, sorry." she pulled him back into a hug.

"Guys! This hallaca isn't going to make itself!" their mom called from the kitchen.

The two got up and went into the kitchen to start helping with the cooking.

•••

Hours full of laughing, singing along to Christmas songs, cooking, and reminiscing on old memories flew bye fast. Soon the whole spread of food was finished and smelling as heavenly as ever. There was hallaca, pan de jamon, dulce de colchinito, and much, much more. They always sent Ayub and Rosh's families home with Tupperwares chock full of leftover food, and this year was definitely no exception.

After the last platter of pan de jamon had been taken out of the oven, Simon rushed to the bathroom and quickly took a shower. After he was finished, he stood in front of the mirror for a solid 7 minutes trying to fix his hair to make it look presentable but ultimately giving up in the end. He put on an ugly Christmas sweater that he got from a thrift store and a pair of jeans.

When he came out of the bathroom he saw Sara watching TV, dressed in the red dress, that he had no idea where she got from, and her hair all done.

"You look so pretty!" he told her.

"Thank you! You look...decent!" she said while eyeing him up and down. She was smiling but he could see the disapproval in her eyes. Simon didn't know when Sara had started to become this snobby, but he just knew he didn't like it.

"Thanks...?" He sat on the other side of the couch and started scrolling on his phone.

Rosh and Ayub's families arrived soon after. They all gathered around the table and ate until they couldn't even think about eating even more without feeling sick. They exchanged presents with each other. He got Rosh a new pair of cleats, Ayub a few vinyls and cds, Sara a book on horses, and his mom a new necklace. He got a new game controller and sweatshirt.

There was one small gift left under the tree with Simon's name on the tag. There was no name near the 'From' part of the tag, and everyone he knew had already given him some sort of gift, so he left it and decided to open it later.

•••

Time passed faster than the speed of light and around half past 10 his friends' families headed out and thanked them profusely for the food and gifts while they carried several Tupperwear containers full of leftovers.

Simon told his mom and sister goodnight and headed to his room, slipping into sweatpants and his favorite purple hoodie, when he remembered the present bearing his name that he left under the tree.

He went and retrieved the gift and brought it back to his room. He searched everywhere for even the slightest indication of who it was from, and when he couldn't find anything he decided to open it.

Under the wrapping paper was a book called How To Read Sheet Music. Inside the cover was a note:

Simon,
I know you aren't happy with me and would rather not speak to me at the moment, but I hope you'll at least accept this gift from me. I was browsing at a bookstore the other day and couldn't help but think of you when I saw this. I'm sorry for everything I've put you through and I'm trying to fix my mistakes.

With all due love,
Wilhelm

Oh.

He closed the book and put it in a drawer. He pulled out his phone and pulled up Wilhelm's contact. Simon never blocked him, but he didn't know if Wilhelm had blocked him. He started trying to type out a message to thank Wilhelm before he could chicken out, but kept deleting each one he thought of.

He typed one that sounded pretty good to him, but he was too chicken to send it. Just as he was about to delete yet another message, a sudden loud noise came from outside, spooking him and causing him to drop his phone. When Simon picked his phone back up he noticed that apparently the 'send' button had been clicked when he dropped the phone.

S h i t.

"Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck," he mumbled, "I'm so fucked."

A few moments after the message was sent and while Simon had an almost quarter life crisis, three little dots appeared in the conversation.

•••
A/N: hi guys, im literally so sorry i haven't updated in so long, my mental health hasn't been the best and this was quite a boring chapter for me to write, so i apologize if it's not the best</3

I hope everyone is doing well and tysm for 200+ reads and 20 votes!!!<3

word count: 1178