𝟬𝟱. 𝗟𝗜𝗞𝗘 𝗬𝗢𝗚'𝗩𝗘 𝗊𝗘𝗘𝗡 𝗔 𝗚𝗛𝗢𝗊𝗧

...∘∙⋆⋯✩        ✩⋯⋆∙∘...

Admiral Bates stood in front of the trainees, "The uranium enrichment plant will be operational earlier than expected. Raw uranium will be delivered to the plant in ten days' time. As a result, the mission has moved up one week."

The seated aviators shared nervous glances. "Sir, no one here has successfully flown a low-level course," Coyote stated.

"Nevertheless, you've been ordered to move on."

Maverick took Admiral Bates's place in front of the aviators. "We have one week left to focus on phase two; it is the most difficult stage of the mission. It's a pop-up strike with a deep dive requiring nothing less than two consecutive miracles."

A simulation appeared on the screen behind Maverick. It showed the inverted dive that two single and two double F-18s would be required to make to reach the target.

"Your target is an impact point less than three meters wide. The two-seat aircraft will mark the target with the laser bullseye. This will allow the single to drop a guided bomb into the reactor through an exposed ventilation hatch. This creates the opening for the second pair. That's miracle number one. The second team will deliver the kill shot to destroy the target. That's miracle number two. If either team misses the target, the mission is a failure."

The screen behind Maverick changed to display the required steep climb out of the mountain, or as Maverick referred to it as, Coffin Corner.

"A climb at that speed will have you pulling at least 8 Gs," Hangman guessed.

"Nine. Minimum."

"The stress limit of an F-18 airframe is 7.5 Gs," Rooster noted.

"That is the accepted limit. To survive this mission, you will need to pull beyond that. Even if it means bending your airframe. You'll be pulling so hard, that you'll weigh close to two thousand pounds. Your skull will feel like it's crushing your spine and your lungs will implode like an elephant sitting on your chest, fighting with everything you have to keep from blacking out. And this is where you'll be most vulnerable."

Maverick pointed at Coffin Corner on the screen, "Assuming you avoid crashing into this mountain, you'll climb straight into enemy radar while losing all airspeed. Within seconds, you'll be fired upon by enemy SAMs. It'll be a dogfight all the way home."

Emerson studied the group around her. Legs bounced up and down nervously. Hands clasped together to stop from trembling. Beads of sweat gathered on their foreheads. The fear of not returning weighed heavily on their minds. Emerson entrusted Maverick with the ability to bring each of them home safely.

"This is going to take you and your aircraft to a breaking point."

"Sir, is this even achievable?" Phoenix asked the question on everyone's mind.