07 | anything is possible

CHAPTER SEVEN
ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE
[07]

song: It's Been a Long, Long Time by Harry James and Kitty Kallan

==========

"haven't felt like this my dear
since can't remember when."

Celia watched as Iceman's casket was lowered into his grave. She had only met him once, and he had seemed like a good man.

Funerals were always sad, it gave her a bad sense of nostalgia.

Now that Iceman was gone, no one was left to support Maverick. Celia could only hope he stayed as their instructor.

=====

"Captain Mitchell is no longer your instructor." The admiral announced. "As of today there are new mission parameters. Time to target is four minutes. You'll be entering at reduced speed, not to exceed 420 knots."

Celia shook her head in disagreement. "You're giving the enemy time to shoot us down." She said through gritted teeth.

Rooster looked at her with warning in his eyes.

"Captain Mitchell taught his way, I am teaching a different way."

"A way that is going to get us killed." Phoenix spoke up.

Beeping sounds started from the screen, making everyone confused until a voice came from the speakers. "Maverick to range control, entering point alpha. Confirm green range."

"Oh my god." Celia gasped.

"Range control to Maverick. Green range is confirmed, but I don't see an event scheduled for you, sir." said a voice from the communications box.

"Well I'm going anyways." Maverick said.

Celia smiled at Maverick's rebellious act and looked over to Rooster. He had a look of anticipation on his face.

"Nice." Phoenix said from in front of her.

"Seeing time to target, 2 minutes and 15 seconds."

"2 minutes and 15 seconds?" Payback spoke up. "That's impossible."

"Maverick's inbound." They heard from the radio and then the timer started.

Celia shook her head softly. "Anything is possible."

When the timer reached one minute, everyone was on the edge of their seats and Celia's leg started to bounce nervously. Rooster reached over and put a hand on her thigh without even glancing at her, making her stop moving.

"Bombs away." Maverick said as he released the bombs on the target."

Everyone stood up as he struggled to fly up the steep mountain, reaching 10 gs. The bombs hit the target perfectly and the timer stopped with 0.16 seconds left.

"Holy shit." Someone exclaimed. The class was stunned.

Maverick just proved the mission can be completed. Anything is possible.

==========

A/N: i decided not to write much for the funeral and sorry the chapter is short </3