Chapter 12 ~ Lest You Forget

Start from the beginning

But while I did acknowledge that, I just couldn't acknowledge how he went about handling the situation. Yes he and dad began arguing and things were tough with them barely managing to keep the house over our head, but not once did we all sit down for a family meeting of any sort.

To get out any feelings, thoughts.... or apologies.

It was always work, and school, and honestly, I couldn't remember the last time we even laughed together as a family. Before any of us knew it, Gray had packed his bags and was heading off by himself. Just one random night in a random week, he decided he had had enough with it all and... he left without telling dad.

I remember just going to Jake and crying my heart out to him, but there was nothing he could do except be there for me when I broke the news to my father. When I did, dad said nothing. He only paused on his way to the kitchen of our old home and then continued along after everything had settled in his brain.

We had decided not to talk about it. Instead, we continued to live.

Dad finally got a breakthrough with his job and soon we were out of the Taylor's and into our own house.

At first, all I wanted was to call Gray and tell him all about our new life, ask him to come back, but then I stopped because I was afraid I'd mess up anything good he had going for him. I had messed up so much already...

After that though, the resentment slowly crept in and now, I was just trying to not drive myself crazy with all the confusion I was facing concerning how I was to deal with him now that I was older and not very much more mature.

I was suddenly pulling the jacket I was wearing closer and then my thoughts couldn't help where they went. I started wondering how Riddian was doing without me. I had called him this morning before coming to the hospital but that was around 8 am and now it was almost 1 pm.

He had left so late last night and hopefully, he had headed to his place to get some sleep instead of going back to the office. Knowing him though, he had done the latter and would continue reviewing all the analyses, projects, company reports and proposals we had been preparing for the Presidents' meeting.

I suddenly felt guilty.

How would he manage by himself all the things we were struggling to do together all this time?

Dad was fine now. It was thankfully just a mild stroke. Sure I would worry myself sick over him if I had gone to work, but it would be an irrational worry.

I checked the time again, wondering if I should call, but then again, I didn't want to disturb him if he was working. To pass time and ease my guilty conscience, my thoughts moved to think up a way to assist Riddian while being here.

Before I could start, my name was called from my left and distractedly, I turned.

I straightened in the chair as I stared at Gray. His eyes showed uncertainty as he approached me, teeth nibbling at his lower lip, hands wiping onto the sides of his pants.

"Is dad okay?" was my first question to ask. Gray's eyebrows raised and quickly he nodded.

"Yeah, yeah," he chuckled, "everything is fine with him. He's gonna be just..." he took one glance at my raised eyebrow and slowed his movements, "fine," he cleared his throat.

We stared at each other for a moment.

Both Gray and I had gotten mostly dad's features. At the top were his blonde hair and stubbornness though.

I narrowed my eyes at Gray as he took another step towards me, almost as if he wanted to take a seat beside me.

I rose from my place, not interested in such an interaction just yet.