Gifts of the Vampire

The gifts started the next day.

A bottle of red wine lay on her writing desk, with a small blue envelope containing a small blue notecard that read:

Doesn't this blood red wine look good?

You're practically one of us! Drink up.

Write a story about us.

(You know you want to.)

Kisses,

Stevenie

"Well that's weird," Sarah said to herself. But the wine bottle was unopened and did not look tampered with, so...

The wine was delicious.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Two days later, an eerie homemade doll was lying on the ground.

Write about us soon, Dessen. Or else!

The doll was a random pattern of pinks and blues, looking as though it had been roughly stitched together out of old baby clothes. It had cross-stitched X's for eyes, no mouth, no hair, no clothes, and the neck was stitched with bright red thread, as if its throat had been slit.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A few days later, Sarah was at Child-pa-looza, thinking that the city should really hire a writer to name these events (though perhaps not her, since she was still blocked). Local artists were performing "covers" of popular kids songs, from "Mary had a Little Lamb" to "Let it Go."

It was a beautiful late summer day. The clouds and light breeze made the temperature bearable, and the food vendors with sugary, lard infested goodness made the event delicious.

Sarah was in line for an elephant ear when it happened.

She saw an approaching figure to her right, turned to see Stevenie, and was about to smile and say "Hey" when she was grasped around the waist, slung over Stevenie's shoulder, and thus absconded from the fun, family-friendly proceedings.