VI.

A/N: The last chapter:(( Thank you to all of you for supporting this book. I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have.

⌲⌲⌲

Ada's POV

I smile when I see Warren standing in the school's courtyard waiting for me to arrive at the dance. Unfortunately, I also see my parents standing at the entrance to welcome everyone.

Now, I just need to come up with a clever way of getting away from my parents so I can hang out with him. To my dismay, they see me and wave me over.

"Go entertain your parents. I'll help Warren find a way in," Layla whispers before walking away from me.

Mom gives me a sly look when I approach them, "Is Layla your date, after all, sweetie?"

I stare in surprise at her comment. "Um, not exactly. How did you...?"

"You're not the most subtle about it," she smiles. 

"Oh," my face flushes. "Well, I want-"

"Warren Peace." My dad's face hardens. "What the hell is he doing here? He looks just like his father." He looks genuinely angry.

"Uh, he goes to school with us," I say softly.

"And, you never thought to say anything about it?" Dad questions.

"I thought that instead of being held responsible for his dad's mistakes he could be given his own chance at a good reputation."

"There is nothing good about the Peace family. You stay away from him, all right?" Dad asks protectively.

"He's not a bad guy-"

"Stay away from him, Ada." My dad is dead serious. I look at Warren nervously as Layla guides him away from the front of the school.

"Okay," I respond meekly.

Mom looks around now, "Where did Layla go?"

"I think she, um, went to tend the school grounds. You know her and plants. Maybe I should go find her?" I offer.

"She's probably already inside. Let's go in, then?" Dad suggests and now I'm forced to enter with both my parents. This is totally uncool and unfair to Warren.

I just want to tell everyone that I came with him. I want to be able to tell him the truth about how I feel about Layla, too. It feels impossible, though.

⌲⌲⌲

Third Person POV

"Hey," Layla rushes over to Warren, "we need to get you inside through a back way. The Commander and Jetstream are right there."

Warren looks over her shoulder and rolls his eyes more than he retreats, "I'm not scared of them."

"You should be," Layla pushes him around the side of the building. "Nice tux."

"Thanks. It's my dad's. He doesn't have much use for it in solitary." Awkward silence. "You look good in green, flower child."

Layla stays silent as a small smile peeks out. She ushers Warren to the back of the room set for the dance, but all that's there is a window.

"Great plan. Now what?" Warren questions as Layla looks around for a way to get in.

"Magenta!" Layla lightly taps the glass. She can see her within and she turns around in surprise. "Let us in?"