"Come on Katie." He said, a smile on his face. I frowned, confused what he was talking about.

"Let's dance."

I snorted. "No way." He almost looked hurt for a split second, but it was gone after an instant.

"Why not? Taylor is playing, we have to." He said, grinning. I stopped to listen to the music and heard New Year's day, instantly having to shove down a smile at his reason.

"I'm terrible at dancing." I explained, turning fully to face him. "And there is no way I'm embarrassing myself that badly at prom."

Travis leaned back and crossed his arms, smirking as usual. "You know, I'm not the best either. I'm amazing, that's for sure, but not perfect."

I scoffed, even as a laugh threatened to slip out.

"If I could actually feel my feet right now, then I would go. But these shoes feel like tiny knives in my heels." I added, because I did want to dance with him. He was my best friend, and even if I liked him, he very clearly did not reciprocate those feelings. I told myself that being friends was enough for me. It had to be.

I was not going to risk what we have now just for a silly crush, that would definitely go away in a few months.

Besides, I knew Travis. More than most people, at least. He flirted. He partied. He was charming and charismatic and sweet and anyone who saw him loved him instantly. There was no way he could have feelings for me. I knew there wasn't. In his mind, I was still the uptight 12 year old who yelled at him every day.

"So take them off." He replied easily, taking me out of my thoughts.

"Travis." I admonished.

"Katie."

"I am not taking off my shoes. That's even weirder than Leo and Connor." No matter how appealing the thought was, I would not be taking off my shoes.

Travis just smiled easily. "I'm dancing with you by the end of the night, whether you like it or not. Just take them off."

I rolled my eyes, even as I leaned over to unstrap my heels. "Fine. But 1 dance only, then we sit back down."

He grinned like he knew something I didn't, but stood to help me up anyway. Without my shoes, I was back to being half a foot shorter than him. The first time we saw each other that summer after his growth spurt, he spent those entire 3 months bragging about how tall he was, and how short I was. It was even worse when he grew more.

We walked out onto the dance floor, where other couples were already slow dancing. Most of them were pressed close together, there heads resting on each other's shoulders. A small spark of panic traveled up my body as I wondered what I was supposed to do. I wasn't lying when I said I did not know how to dance. Especially slow dance. With my very platonic friend.

Travis grabbed my hand as he stopped, tugging me towards him slightly. I attempted to hide my blush by looking down.

Before I could even think about what to do, his hand slipped around my waist as the other grabbed my hand. I hesitantly placed my hand on his shoulder, forcing myself not to enjoy the feeling too much.