The Lightning Storm

Start from the beginning

"Wait Minho. You dropped this," Edward picked up the necklace and looked for him. Minho turned around and was shocked. He took it. "Thanks," he shoved it into his pocket. "I don't know what I would have done if I had left it,"

"It was so generous of you to keep it. Why don't you wear it?"

"It wouldn't feel right,"

"Did you like Amelia?"

Minho was uncomfortable with his question.

"I understand you feel guilty. How do you think I felt about Alby?" he showed Alby's pendant around his neck. "Amelia would want you to wear it,"

"I can't," Minho said. "We'd better keep moving," he turned around and walked off with the others much to Edward's dejection. He walked up to his brother as the group continued the length of their journey. "Did you dream anything last night?" he asked.

"Not exactly,"

"I did,"

"What did you dream about?"

"I dreamed about you...wearing that pendant you have around your neck. And....back in the maze, Minho said there was a girl before Teresa,"

"Amelia," Thomas breathed.

Edward stared at him. "How do you know?"

"She appears in my head. Around Ava Paige,"

Edward pursed his lips and continued. "I dreamed...we were watching her on the cameras and Minho when they were running. They were separated and it was nearly nightfall. We knew she was going to get killed so we went to Ava Paige to try and reason with her. That's all I remember,"

"Mmm," Thomas wondered. "I know that girl is of importance to Ava but I just can't remember what it is. My memories are coming back slowly but it's unlikely I can get every single one. How are you getting them?"

"I think the Griever venom in my system's slowly helping me recap some. It won't last for very long though. l don't think,"

The conversation ended. The Gladers hiked across the endless stretches of sand for hours. Their water was used slowly and carefully.

At some point, Chuck collapsed from exhaustion. Edward decided to carry him and Frypan took his backpack.

Thomas still suffered frequent stings on his back from the tattoo on his neck but Newt kept an eye on him. As they walked close, Thomas clutched the pendant around his neck. He tilted his head and Newt and wondered if perhaps...He wanted to speak out his thoughts, but the guilt of the past bared down on him again like a heavy rock and he bit his tongue.

Soon the sky unexpectantly turned quite cloudy and it became cooler. The teens decided they would rest again for a few hours on the plains of sand which had turned flat and stiffer. Thomas laid his head down on his backpack not noticing Newt was resting near him. Edward allowed Chuck to sleep near him so he could keep him warm. Teresa lay down next to him too.

The only thing that echoed in the air around them was Chuck's snores. But weariness kept their eyes closed.

Thomas fidgeted in his sleep. Bad dreams floated around his mind again.

............................................................................................................

"Ava, please! You cannot allow the Grievers to kill her!" Thomas implored.

"I cannot disturb the experiment," Ava answered stubbornly.

"So that's it? You're going to let her die knowing full well you can do something about it?" Edward questioned repulsively.