The judge they've come to meet appears a moment later. They exchange greetings and he eyes them a warily before sitting opposite to Zahir.

"Tell me, what brings you to my place, sayidi?"

"My name is Asim," Zahir begins, smoothly going through the lie they've fabricated to this man they've learnt to be corrupted. "I'm one of the ministers of Ameer Adam Al Kurdiya. He appointed me over this area some time back to build shelters, but the money I was provided proved to be insufficient. So the task couldn't be completed. Although the record from the treasury shows that I was provided more than enough sum. Now the Ameer has put his men to investigate the matter and my life is at stake."

The judge listens to him attentively, lifting a curious eyebrow as he inquires, "Why did the money prove insufficient, sayidi?"

"You see, I'm putting a lot of effort in my services to the governor and his people. Don't you think I should be rewarded at least a little?" Zahir chuckles, a wicked gleam in his eyes. "I might have bought myself a house or two in this area with that money. But if Ameer Adam finds out, he won't be pleased with me and you know how he can be severe in punishment."

"What do you want from me?"

"You're the judge appointed in this area. My case will come to you. I want you to give the verdict in my favor and if any prove against my property is found and brought to you, discard it."

He gestures to Adam to present the treasure they've brought with themselves to the judge and Adam puts it in front of him, opening the chest and letting the gold coins blind the man at their sight. The judge stares at them blatantly, greedily, before looking up at Zahir who smiles encouragingly.

"Take it. If you agree to help me, I'll give you more than this. You'll be pleased with me."

Adam puts his hand at the hilt of his sword, preparing himself, his eyes narrowing as the judge edges forward towards the treasure chest.

"Don't worry, sayidi, I'm sure your services to this region has been many," he says to Zahir. "A house or two are nothing as a reward."

And as he extends his hand towards the coins, Adam unsheaths his sword and brings it down, severing his hand before he could touch the gold.

The man howls and cries in pain. There's a commotion. His own guards run to his defense and Zahir jumps to his feet, unsheathing his sword as well and holding it out in a warning.

"Be aware, you're in the presence of Ameer Adam Al Kurdiya."

The men halt in their tracks. Adam removes the cloth from his face, revealing it, and sharpens his gaze on the judge who's now watching the scene unfold with a horrified expression, still clutching his wrist as blood gushes out of it.

Adam brings his sword to his neck. "A man who dares to severe justice in my land is either a fool or recklessly conceited to think he can fool me."

"Sayidi, please hear me out--"

He presses the sword up against his jaw to shut him up and gestures to his guard at the door. "Bring in the prisoner."

The guard does as he's told, the prisoner held by the the other soldiers brought in. Adam directs to the judge, "Do you know this man?"

The shock and fear in his eyes is enough of a confirmation for him. He turns to the prisoner.

"This is Qudamah, my treasurer. He killed a man named Asim and then bribed you to give a verdict in his favor and declare him free of charge. Do you remember?" He looks back at the judge. "All the gold he bribed you with was taken from the public treasury-- the one he was supposed to be guardian of and serve the people of this land with. He clearly failed his responsibility and was protected so long with your help."