"It was a slip of tongue." she exclaimed.

He didn't look convinced and narrowed his eyes at her.

"Slip of tongue?" he raised a brow.

"Yeah!" she threw her hands in the air with super exaggeration.

"You sure?"

"Hundred percent."

"Fine. I'm not convinced at all but I'll believe it for now." he shrugged. "Why did he invite you to that ball?"

"How would I know that? He is the one who invited me. I didn't ask him to. Anyway, Elena was also invited and so was Carol, so were you and so was the whole damn town!"

"But the whole town wasn't dancing with him."

"What is so wrong with that? It's just a dance!"

"You and me, we both know that it wasn't just a dance, Lucy."

She fell silent after that, throwing her hands in frustration and groaned loudly.

"Okay, Mr. Detective Salvasore." she huffed.

"Salvatore." he corrected.

"Salvasore."

"Tore."

"Sore."

"More." a newer voice added as they both turned to the source of that voice. "We're playing rhymes, right?"

"No. We're not playing anything." Stefan sighed hard as Lucy passed an awkward smile to Klaus.

"I saw my two most favourite people and thought to join their pleasant company." Klaus smiled at them, taking a chair from the adjoining set of table and sitting on that chair which was too close to Lucy's for Stefan's liking.

Stefan suddenly stood up, glaring at him.

"Stay away from my sister." he warned and just left.

"Wow." Klaus muttered casually. "He just asked me to stay away from you and then left you alone with me. Very good."

"He is being very weird today."

"Maybe me locking away Elena did wonders to his brain." he snickered to himself.

"No it's not it." she snorted, resting her cheek on her palm. "Well, this would make me the traitor, but I think it'll be fine."

"What is it?" his brows furrowed.

"Uhhh... okay, let it be. I don't wanna be the traitor." she groaned and slumped down her head on the table. "I just wanna sleep."

"You wanna sleep? Here?"

"Yeah." she exclaimed sleepily. "I haven't slept for two days. Last night I was flying back here, worried out of my mind 'cause no one bothered to tell me what exactly happened. All I got to know was a vague 'things got out of hand'. I mean who even says that? That's dumb. They're dumb. Both me and Bonnie were so worried, we thought someone died or somethin'. And the night before that I was practising with Bonnie."

"Oh my god." he sighed, shaking his head and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, keeping his hand there.

"You shouldn't miss on sleep like that, you know? It's not good for your health at all." he looked at her sternly as she smiled up at him.

"And I'm sorry for leaving so abruptly." an apologetic expression overcame his face. "You asked me to at least stay another day and I just left."

"It's s'okay. I understand. Elena just killed the hunter. It was pretty necessary to handle this situation."