Chapter Forty-Four

"Did you place a bet, brother?" Benedict asked, turning to Colin as they sat

"He placed two, actually. One for me." Eloise quipped, a smirk on her face.

"Oh, and which one is your pick, El?" Madeleine grinned, knowing how competitive it would get if Eloise had thrown in a bet.

"High Flyer, of course." She stated proudly, watching as the men prepared the horses. Colin scoffed at this.

"You must be prepared to lose then, sister. Nectar is the most obvious choice here." Colin pointed out, chuckling.

"Oh, and why is that? If you had put any thought into it at all, you would know that High Flyer is actually the wiser choice. You simply chose Nectar because everybody else did." Eloise argued, Madeleine and Benedict sitting awkwardly between the two.

"There is a reason everyone chose Nectar, Eloise. He is the most well-bred and highly-trained after all. He is a prize steed." Colin glared at her. Eloise simply laughed at this.

"That is all fine until you consider the conditions of the track, brother. The weather is hot, thus Nectar's size will be to his disadvantage in the soft soil. High Flyer is much swifter and lighter horse, allowing him a far better chance at victory." Eloise smirked proudly, knowing she was right.

"You think far too much about this." Colin rolled his eyes, sitting back in defeat.

"And who are you placing a bet on, Stubbs?" Madeleine raised an eyebrow, taking her husband's hand. He smirked and leaned closer to her, his lips brushing against her ear.

"I, my dear, am placing a bet on the fact that in twenty minutes, you and I will be under these stands distracted by something far more entertaining than a horse race." She could practically hear the smirk in his voice, her cheeks blushing a bright pink as she swatted at him.

"With your family right next to us? Completely inappropriate." She scowled, stifling a laugh nonetheless.

"When has that ever stopped us before?" He winked, making her laugh and shake her head at him.

"I think El is right, High Flyer is the obvious choice." She grinned, looking out toward the horses.

"Well then I will go with Colin, I do rather enjoy beating you in bets." He smirked, squeezing her hand. She scoffed and squeezed back as a warning.

"If I recall, the last time we went up against each other was the game of pall mall. Do remind me, how did that end?" She tilted her head, giving him an innocent look of confusion. He rolled his eyes and nudged her with his arm, shaking his head as he chuckled.

"I believe it ended that night with you on your knees-"

"Benedict Bridgerton!" She gasped, clapping a gloved hand over his mouth as he laughed. She couldn't help but laugh herself, removing her hand.

"You are truly a handful." She giggled, taking his hand in hers again. He smirked and intertwined their fingers, bringing her hand to his lips.

"But I am your handful, and you're stuck with me for all of eternity, love." He winked, turning his attention back to the races.

-

Madeleine and Eloise cheered in victory as High Flyer took first place, everyone now standing in excitement.

"In your face, brother!" Eloise shouted, sticking out her tongue and ignoring her mother's reprimanding. Colin rolled his eyes, Benedict's expression mirroring his.

"Do not forget, El. I made the bet for you, so that money is technically mine." He smirked at her, rushing off to claim his reward. Eloise gasped incredulously and immediately ran after him, determined to get her money. Madeleine laughed at the sight, looking up at Benedict.

"Don't you dare say a word." He warned, a disappointed look on his face. She only smirked in response.

"I was not going to say a thing. It is enough satisfaction simply knowing I beat you." She quipped, giggling as he nudged her, a scowl on his face.

"Come on, a glass of champagne will surely cheer you up." She kissed his cheek, taking his arm and following him to the refreshments area.

"This turned out to be rather fun, did it not?" Benedict smiled down at her and she nodded in agreement.

"It did, I am glad we came." She squeezed his arm, giving him a warm smile. She was truly glad, she felt rather happy to be out and about instead of sulking in the house.

"Oh, Lord Bridgerton! Lady Bridgerton!" Madeleine grimaced as she heard Portia Featherington, her happiness suddenly dissipating. The two plastered on fake smiles, turning around to greet the woman.

"I am so glad we caught you, the whole Ton has been abuzz with wonders of what you two have been up to." Lady Featherington beamed, a rather condescending beam at that. Prudence and Fillipa stood behind her, scowls etched on their faces as they fanned themselves.

"Lady Featherington, always a pleasure. How have you been?" Benedict smiled at her, attempting to change the topic of conversation.

"Oh, we have been just fine. I am dying to know about your married life, though. Come on, do not be shy with the details." She urged, obviously eager to have a piece of juicy gossip she could share.

"It is an absolute delight to be married to Madeleine, that is kind of you to ask." Benedict stated politely, hoping to end the conversation quickly.

"That is wonderful to hear! And are you two going to be expecting-" She was cut off by Benedict as he pretended to see something over her shoulder.

"I am terribly sorry, Lady Featherington. My brother requires our attention. Good day." He gave her a tight-lipped smile, tipping his hat and quickly ushering Madeleine away. She sighed in relief as they left, leaning into his touch.

"You are my absolute favorite person, do you know that?" She chuckled, placing her hand over his. He smirked down at her, nodding.

"Oh, I know."