Chapter Eighteen

Madeleine and Benedict spent over four hours on the lake, both ever so happy to have a little escape from life and to simply spend time with one another

Madeleine and Benedict spent over four hours on the lake, both ever so happy to have a little escape from life and to simply spend time with one another. It seemed that they had not had time to proceed their newfound feelings for one another, life just continued to get in their way. As they walked back to the carriage, the sun was beginning to set. Madeleine smiled as she noticed and grabbed Benedict's arm.

"Could we wait a bit? I would like to watch the sunset." He smiled at her and nodded, sitting down on the grass and pulling her to sit between his legs, knees bent. She giggled softly and leaned into him, resting her back against his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and softly kissed her head before resting his chin on top of her head.

"I'm glad we are doing this, Benny, this relationship. I do not know how I would've gotten through these past few weeks without you. You have always been here for me and now, even more so." She spoke softly and he smiled, running his hand up and down her arm.

"I will always be here for you, Mads. You will never have to face anything alone ever again. I promise you that." Her heart filled with warmth at this and she snuggled into his embrace, resting her head back in the crook of his neck. She sighed contently, watching as the various colors and hues seamlessly blended together in the sky.

"I wish the sky could always look like this." She whispered. Benedict hummed softly in response.

"But then it would not be so special when it does happen, would it?" He chuckled and she let out a soft laugh, nodding.

"I suppose you are right. I do not think I could ever get sick of this, though." She said with a soft smile and he nodded, admiring the view.

"It certainly is beautiful. I can only hope that some day, I can create something as wonderful with my paintbrush."

Madeleine scoffed at this and sat up, turning to face him and placing her hands on his cheeks.

"You already have." She whispered, staring into his eyes. "Your paintings are absolutely incredible and it saddens me that you do not see that the way everybody else does." He gazed at her with eyes full of love, silently wondering how he got so lucky. He leaned forward and kissed her nose, making her giggle.

"I suppose it is true that we are our own worst critics." He noted, raising an eyebrow. She nodded and stroked his cheek softly.

"If you are your own worst critic, I will continue to be your most fervent supporter." She spoke in a matter-of-fact tone and he smirked, reaching up to brush a piece of hair behind her ear.

"I love you, Madeleine. I have always loved you as my dearest friend and closest confidant, but the love I feel for you now.. it is different, to say the least."

Madeleine blushed and leaned forward, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him into a tight embrace. "I love you too, Benedict. Always have and always will." She whispered as he wrapped his arms around her waist, hugging her tightly. After a moment, the two separated and Benedict kissed her forehead before standing and offering her his hand. The sky had begun to darken as the sunset faded and the two walked back to the carriage. Benedict sheepishly apologized to the footman, who responded that he did not mind stopping to watch a sunset himself every now and then.