"I'll go and freshen up." She smiled at her boss, wondering how she could feel two such differing emotions at the same time. How could she love her and resent her at the same time? Or did she resent her because she loves her? How could she love her at all? How could she not?

There was a car and a driver waiting for them at the airport and they were driven to a hotel on the other side of Nairobi. Mika spent most of the time looking out of the window, fascinated by her first glimpse of Africa. There seemed to be so much color here... from the gaily colorful clothing of the locals, their dark faces with very white smiles, to the beauty of the sky which was lit dramatically by a sinking sun shooting waves of vivid pinks and reds into its deep and darkening blue.

The low, white-painted building of their hotel was almost obscured from a distance by its surrounding trees and bushes which were ablaze with colors— myriad shades of green, gold, orange and violet. They approached down a driveway which was flanked by rose gardens and outside the main entrance were enormous ceramic pots overflowing with scarlet bougainvillea.

From the balcony of her room overlooking the rear of the hotel, the view was breathtakingly beautiful. In the distance was the hazy shape of the Ngong Hills, immediately below her the tropical gardens which promised such delights on the closer inspection. She stood enjoying the scent of clean, sun-drenched air and flowers and plants... enjoying the stillness, the silence which was disturbed only by the solitary occupant of a glistening blue swimming pool which was surrounded by palm trees.

Excitement rushed through her... an appreciation of the loveliness of everything around her, from her room to all that she could see out here... makes her appreciate how good it was to be alive.

Vic's knock on her bedroom door served only to intensify that excitement, and she turned, calling that the door was open to come in.

"Is everything all right, Mika? Is there anything you need?" Vic had already bathed and changed her clothes. Her hair was still damp, curling behind her ears where it almost touched the collar of her shirt. She was wearing blue slacks and a snow-white light shirt.

Mika smiled, her heart skipping a beat and then racing as she looked at the her boss... loving her, filled with a yearning to touch her, to run her fingers through the thickness of her hair, to feel her arms around her. She looked away as Vic walked towards her, her hands going nervously to the railing of the balcony. She would have to be on guard, very much so... "Everything is perfect, Vic".

Vic stood beside her, making appreciative comments about the view, the sunset, and Mika edged away from her slightly, disturbed by the nearness, the smell of her perfume, as she move towards her, her hands covering hers. "Relax! You seemed so tensed." She loosened her fingers from their grip on the railings.

The secretary looked at her boss uncertainly, hoping her eyes did not show the alarm she was feeling, her hands dropping to her sides.

Vic smiled slowly, the brown gaze taking in every detail of Mika's face. "I said relax, Mika. All I have in mind for you this week is hard work."

That is what she said... that is what she heard. But Mika also heard the irony in her voice. "Now why don't you unpack and get changed for dinner? I'll see you in the bar in an hour or so. Don Bennet and his wife are joining us for dinner here tonight. So try not to be any longer. Will you?"

.

.

.

Vic meant what she had said about hard work. The following days were the most tormenting days for Mika. At nine on Monday morning they were in the offices of Cooper's architects. By lunch time they were inspecting the site of the brewery with Don Bennet, the head of the firm of architects. Thereafter, it was sheer hard work on the offices.