The kitsune took a small step back, but stumbled over a pot-plant.

He winced as his back hit the ground with a loud thud, alerting the vampires inside the house.

They darted towards the door but were too late to catch the boy who had already gotten up and broken into a full sprint towards the kingdom wall.

"Get back here, yokai wretch!!" One of the knights shouted as they began to give chase.

The young kitsune ran for his life towards the wall.

He quickly climbed up onto the roof of one of the houses adjacent to the road, and continued his sprint towards the wall.

He jumped from house to house, his eyes blurry from the onslaught of tears that threatened to fall.

He reached the last house and skidded to a stop, he was on the roof of the house closest to the wall.

The top of the wall was about two meters up from where he stood on the roof and the gap between the wall and the house was about three meters.

He panted heavily while he looked back over his shoulder to see the knights running towards him.

He figured that he only had mere seconds before they'd catch him and kill him too.

The young kitsune gulped, there was no turning back now, it was do or die, literally.

The boy desperately tried to ignore the sound of the knights' metals boots crashing down on the roofing tiles behind him as he took a couple of steps back to get a running start.

It was right as the first guard landed on the roof that the boy sprinted forwards and leaped towards the wall with his hands stretched upwards.

He hit the wall and, instantly, he dug his claws into the hard rock that made up the edge of the top of the wall.

He scrambled up the wall and onto the wooden platform on top.

He looked in both directions to see guards rushing towards him to close him in.

He realized that he had one choice, one chance at life, and he took it.

He jumped.

The wind whistled through his hair as he leaped over the railing on the other side of the wall.

He tucked himself into a ball, protectively wrapping himself with his tails right before he crashed through the canopy of trees and onto the forest floor.

With his tails having absorbed the impact of the fall, he got up quickly and sprinted away from the wall.

He ran and ran until his muscles felt like they couldn't move anymore, but he pushed himself to keep going.

He could hear the guards behind him in the trees, his breath visible in the cold night air and his heart pounding in his ears.

He thanked everything that he had at least been given night vision in his arsenal of kitsune abilities that he had without being a fully matured kitsune.

Though, he silently cursed as he realized that his enemies had the same advantage, being vampires.

He darted through the trees, being careful not to trip and hurt himself, the last thing he needed was for the smell of his blood to help the guards locate him.

He ran and ran for what felt like hours, but he carried on nevertheless.

It was only when he couldn't hear the footsteps of his pursuers that he began to slow down a bit.

His heart ached almost as much as his body burned when the realization of what just happened hit him.

He'd lost everything, his mother, his brother, his best friend, everything.

He had to continue though, it was all he could do now.

He continued to walk through the forest until he came across a dirt road in the midst of the forest.

He stared down the road and saw a light in the distance.

Hope filled his heart as he willed his pain-stricken limbs to move towards the light.

It was hours later that the sky lightened and the sun peaked over the edge of the horizon in an attempt to wash away the shadows and gloom.

The young kitsune covered his eyes as he was bathed in the warmth of the sun.

Suddenly, his heart rate picked up as the sound of carriage wheels drew near.

He froze, had they really sent a search party out for him?

He watched through blurry, tear soaked eyes as the carriage came into view.

To his relief, it was coming from the direction he was going towards.

It was okay, he could rest.

The carriage stopped just as the boy finally gave in to the screaming exhaustion in his limbs before his legs gave out from under him and he hit the ground.

He heard the footsteps of two people running towards him and he allowed himself to open his eyes one last time before he was succumb to sweet unconsciousness.

He couldn't make out much, but what he noticed instantly was the massive feathered wings on their backs.

The young kitsune let out a soft exhale as the built-up exhaustion finally took its toll.

Though, he knew he was safe, he would be okay, the two people he saw had confirmed that for him.

They were angels.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

How y'all liking the start to this story?
Also, sorry about the two-week disappearance, I was really tired lol

Anygays, byee!
-CrackshotReaper

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -