vii. heading for hell

ACT ONE, chapter vii :heading for hell, but never had i thought i'd drag you down as well

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

ACT ONE, chapter vii :
heading for hell, but never had
i thought i'd drag you down as well

AYA FOLLOWED THE BOY.

Away from the rooftop in Spain, Aya stumbled back into the hallway of the psych ward and watched him flee inside the next room. She pushed through the door with Steven quickly in tow before he slammed it shut and locked it behind them. Marc collided into it only a few seconds later, yelling and shouting and pounding his fists against the frosted window. Aya instantly hesitated. The girl was ready to go back and let him in when Steven took her hand and gave it a light squeeze.

She turned, followed his gaze, and found that they were in the middle of an unfamiliar backyard.

Where the hell were they now?

Steven smiled, "Mum?"

A woman with long dark hair stood at a grill by the fence, a small smile on her face while she worked. So, this was her. Marc and Steven's mother. Aya's grandmother. Wendy, the woman she was told to never talk about, never bring up. She wasn't how the girl pictured her, though she wasn't at all sure what she pictured now.

"Food's ready!" Her grandmother called, "Who's hungry? RoRo?"

The little boy from the cafeteria now was drawing at a picnic table, "Mom, come check out my drawing."

"He drew the fish with only one fin," a taller boy laughed, standing over his shoulder.

Aya recognized him instantly. Marc, her father as a little boy. She saw herself in him.

From the grill, their mother scolded, "Marc, be nice to your little brother."

"I had a brother?" Steven couldn't believe it.

Aya's eyes were equally wide, "Baba never said..."

Did Layla know that? Aya didn't think so, or her mother would have said something. How could Marc have not told them? How could he have left that part out? Aya had an uncle, and no one had ever told her. None of this was making any sense...

Young Marc whispered in his little brother's ear, "I'm not hungry. Want to go to the cave?"

RoRo nodded and got up from the bench to run after him with a distracted yell that they would eat later. They had almost made it to the gate when their father, Elias, called after them.

"Boys?" Aya's grandfather, busy building a small shed, looked up from his hammer and nails, "Don't be gone too long."

With a pair of matching smiles, the brothers quickly dashed towards the exit.