You Cry Together, I Cry Alone

Começar do início

        One of her hands gently places itself on the white tile floor, to keep herself grounded. The room is getting dizzy from her bad breathing pattern and her vision blurry with warm tears. Her head aches and her body shakes uncontrollably. "I don't want to be like this." She whispers.

        The lights flicker, and the whole bathroom shakes like an earthquake is upon her. The stall doors rattle and the sounds of people screaming outside of the building echo off the walls around her. She sits upright and rapidly glances around the room, confused about what's happening.

       "Go away!" She pleads. "GO AWAY! GO AW—" A voice interrupts her.

       "LOOK AT YOU!"

—----------------------------------------------------

Troy's POV

       Nick sits down on a picnic table with his feet propped up on the bench of it. He's a few yards away from the tarped area with a small portion of the militia located under it. Far enough it's hard for them to see him in the unlit darkness, but close enough he can still hear them.

      They're all laughing and joking around, while Nick stares off into space, engrossed in his own depressing thoughts. He was over there not too long ago to get some food, but he could only manage to swallow a little bit of it. He isn't very hungry at the moment.

      "We should take the fight to them, man, not sit and wait for it. I'd say offense is the best defense." One of the guys says to the rest, and takes a sip of coffee.

       "Yeah, well, that's not what Otto wants right now or Jake." Troy shuts that idea down immediately and begins to walk out from the tented area. He didn't want them to run off with their ideas and get the whole community in trouble. Nick breaks his own silence and asks him something.

        "So, what happens if Walker attacks while we're on the perimeter? Because it's a long haul back to the ranch." He shrugs. Troy shuffles closer to him, and places his hands on his hips.

       "Well, there's only two roads he can use, and we'll be on both of them with fast trucks. We stop him, we leave a suicide note, we fall back, and we defend the camp." He sits on the table next to Nick, examining him. He seems off to Troy, which is concerning.

       "Suicide note? What? One of our guys stays behind to fight to the end?" Nick questions and finally turns his attention away from the empty space in front of him to look to Troy. That exposes his fearful expression to him. He crosses his arms, but it ends up just looking more like he's hugging himself. Why does Nick look so frightened? Troy thinks to himself.

       "Well, yeah. Yeah. We're all willing." He gestures with one hand back to the group of soldiers without breaking eye contact. Nick softly nods then goes back to his depressing psyche, trapped in his own head. It's like he's not actually there, in a type of shock.

      "Well, if it does come to that, I'll do it." He mutters quietly. Images of what Frankie did flash across his mind. He flinches and inhales sharply, scared. Troy tilts his head at the sudden flinching.

       "You feeling blue, Nicky?" He chuckles in hopes to lighten the mood. Nick's gloomy tone doesn't shift in the slightest. And to make Troy even more anxious and worried about him, he doesn't answer his question. "Well uh..." He tries to think of something to say. "I think you're gonna stay within the fence anyway. You can go kamikaze another day." Troy slowly places his palm onto Nick's back. No response.

        Nick remains entirely still, trying to hold back from entirely breaking down. In the last few hours ever since what Frankie had done, he's been so close to letting the tears fall from his eyes. That puts him into a lingering state of constant panic, flight or fight. Troy begins to rub his hand slowly in circles in hopes to comfort him.