A week passed like this, with Luka intermittently going to his workplace and sometimes staying at home, while I stayed, almost willingly confined to the house. If people knew, they'd think I was being imprisoned, but I was still too afraid of..people.

Luka did try to get me out of the house, but I could only make it to the neighbourhood park. The way the houses were arranged made it so that the neighbourhood Luka lived in was filled with High Colours.

High Colours were generally secretive people, and they didn't like going out, which meant that the local park would essentially be empty. But any further than that..well, sometimes I would see reporters standing around, waiting for a High Colour to give them breaking news.

Luka and I eventually agreed that until I was less afraid, we wouldn't leave the premises of the neighbourhood.

The only times we went out were to grocery shop, and Luka accompanied me every time without fail. He would request for me to cook some different meals sometimes, and most of the time, when I was bored, I experimented in the kitchen, and Luka was essentially my test subject. He ate whatever I made without complaint, even when it caused him to be stuck in the restroom for the entire night.

Look, I wasn't trying to poison him, but it kind of just happened. He was allergic to something in one of the dishes I'd made, and before we could figure out what it was, he was already rendered sick by it.

Sorry, Luka. But it was kind of his fault too.

We also talked about our..issues. He brought up seeing a therapist, or someone who could help me recover, but I was hesitant. The thought of telling a stranger what I had gone through in life was enough to make me die of shame.

"Just know that if you ever get around to seeing one, I'll be waiting for you during the sessions to bring you home, okay?"

I smiled, heart filled with sweetness. "Okay.
Bring me home."

Of course, there were good things, and bad things.

A few times, when I woke up in the middle of the night, it was because Luka had been shaking me awake. He had scratches trailing from his arms to his neck, and when I looked down at my blood-stained nails, I realised that I had hurt him.

Once, I had even bitten him by accident, in my frenzied state. When he came back from work he told me he'd told his secretary that a bunny bit him.

Tomorrow was the day of the admission test, and afterwards we'd have to wait for the results. I was nervous, and I had attempted to "study" for the first time in..well, ever.

When it came to biology, however, I didn't understand. There was a part about how melanin caused a change in eye colour.

"Luka, you..you have golden eyes, right?" I hesitantly asked, confused. I didn't expect biology to talk about people with golden eyes. How did they turn out golden? Why did it happen only to a select few? Nobody really understood the mechanics behind how the Colours came to be, but it usually wasn't a hindrance to ordinary life.

Luka glanced at me from his papers, and smiled. "You mean this?" Resting his cheek on his hand, his eyes turned gold. It wasn't a slow process, but slow enough for me to see how the yellow took over the blue. It started from his pupil, slowly spreading, enveloping the blue, before it fully turned into a breathtaking yellow.

"Why doesn't it turn green?" I asked curiously. There were reports of people with golden eyes having a mix of their eye colours.

Luka reached out a hand to me, carding his hands through my hair. "Well, mine are fake."