Move

-Blaine-

After the trip to the mall, I would now wake up from terrifying nightmares, crying and screaming in the middle of the night. Luka was the one who comforted me everytime, hugging me and whispering the softest things into my ear.

Every time, after I calmed down, I would realise just how much I was bothering Luka, and would want to cry again, but even if I did, Luka would just softly coax me till I either calmed down or fell asleep.

The next morning, even as I tried to apologise, Luka would only say that I had nothing to be sorry for, and "If you apologise again, I'll kiss you."

Oh, gosh.

That..had to mean something, right?

That probably meant..that I had a chance?

But I couldn't say it out loud. I was too shy, too jumpy about anything and everything related to Luka.

There was a day where I had to meet someone new, named Mr Clarke. He was a stoic, prim and proper man who gazed upon me with neutrality, before talking to Luka. Luka had informed me of his arrival a few days prior, and he told me about what they were going to discuss. I didn't really understand, so I just nodded along.

"I've prepared the documents for the case, I've looked up Noah Carter's past and background information."

Noah..Father.

I bit back a whimper. I just had another nightmare today, and I didn't want to cry and bother Luka again.

"Clarke." Luka's voice was sharp. He definitely noticed my reaction to Mr Clarke's words.

"I apologise for my lack of a filter." Mr Clarke simply stated, bowing lightly towards me. I shook my head "I-It's okay, please.." don't bow to someone like me.

These days, I had gotten more comfortable with physical contact with Luka. Right now, his arms were snaking around my waist almost protectively, holding me close. I couldn't help the butterflies that rose up in my stomach. Was this really just "friend" behaviour? I was scared.

Mr Clarke proceeded to speak of many confusing and complicated terms, but I briefly captured a few phrases. A lawsuit was going to happen. How did that concern..that man? I didn't really understand.

"It's a solid case against him, since we have proof." Luka said, and Mr Clarke seemed to know what he meant, nodding along. "I have indeed, reviewed the evidence, and I believe that it is highly likely that we can get him near lifetime in prison, with no chance of probation."

"Near lifetime?" I finally spoke, feeling Luka's hand squeeze my arm gently, as if encouraging me to speak more.

"Well, considering his age, he would come out as an elderly man, given that he doesn't pass in prison." Mr Clarke tilted his head. "And I presume that you would want me to ensure him the maximum penalty, given what he has done to you."

Other people knew of what a disappointment I was.

I flinched, and Luka spoke warningly. "Clarke."

"Once again, I apologise." Mr Clarke replied, busying himself with tidying his documents, leaving me time to think.

Did I want Father to be in jail for what he did? But I thought that whatever he did to me was justified. I was his shame, his disappointment, and the stain on his life. I heard that he was a High Colour, while Mother was a Mid.

I heard rumours that Mother had cheated on Father and had me. I wonder why? Did she have me in hopes of me being a child she could be proud of?

I lowered my gaze, watching Luka's fingers intertwine with mine, playing around. I was so confused. Mother treated me like I was trash, while Luka treated me like a treasure.