Internal Struggles

Alpine's POV
My chest rose and fell rapidly. Stupid squirrel. What had just happened? I ran back to my clothes and morphed back getting dressed again. I didn't know what to make of the interaction I'd just had. Did he know it was me? Would he say anything? I let out a sigh shaking my head of the thoughts. I needed to get home. I went back inside the school going to my locker to get my books and homework for tonight. The bell rang and the halls flooded with people as eager to leave as I was. I nearly gagged at the sudden influx of pheromones. I spotted Luke walking out of his class, we made eye contact and had a short mental conversation. Not really but we exchanged a look that meant we'd meet outside. After I gathered my books I went out the front door lingering there until Luke excited. "Hi!" I said in as cheerful of a tone as I could manage. "Hey" he responded dully making me raise a brow. He shrugged and sighed "where's John?" I asked gaining another shrug in response. "What's wrong?" He looked at me then glanced over towards Celeste who was talking to a group of guys. One had his hand on her hip. "Oh." Was all I could say. He shrugged again. I want very good at comforting people but figured I should try. Right? "Look man, she's a bitch anyway. Believe me I know" she wasn't really but I tried, it earned me a small glare and another sigh. I offered a small smile. "Don't look at me like that" I whined. He smiled a little at that. We started walking home together after a couple minutes of standing there awkwardly.

Joe's POV
After the fox had ran away I lied on the ground for a few moments. I was scared and confused. It had... Licked me and more importantly not eaten me. I sat up and let out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. I ran through the woods back to my treehouse and ran up before shifting back and redressing. I sat on the wooden floor still in shock. It would've been my fault. I should know better than to run in the woods like that. I must have sat there for hours because they next thing I knew it was dark and my phone was ringing. Mom the screen said. I answered, "hi mom" silence "mom?" I said again. "WHERE ARE YOU!?" Her voice was shrill and worried. "Mom I'm in my treehouse I'm sorry I didn't call, I'll be home in a minute" I answered. I heard a heavy sigh on the other end. There was no way I'd be telling her what happened today. She'd chew me out for shifting, cutting class and almost dying. "Be careful" she warned before hanging up. I slid my phone into my pocket chucking. I carefully descended the ladder hoping onto the ground and started the short walk home.
I turned the door knob and the heavy wooden door swung open with a wail. "I'm home!" My little sister Irelia ran up to me putting her arms up. I chuckled and scooped her up hugging her tightly. She giggled and hugged me back before sliding out of my arms and running away giggling. Mom came in from the kitchen, "you've got to stop staying out till dark!" She said looking at me with those soft worried brown eyes. "Mom I'm fine I promise, I'm sorry" I said softly offering her a smile. She shook her head as if dismissing a thought and hugged me. "Go, dinner is in the oven, eat" I smiled feeling my stomach growl at the promise of food. "Thanks mom" I said sheepishly. I put my bookbag on the couch and went into the kitchen getting a plate and opening the oven. Meatloaf. I got a couple pieces and sat at the table eating slowly still pondering the events of the day. I couldn't get that fox out of my head.

The next day:
Alpine's POV
It was Friday, finally. I woke up slowly as I did every morning. Going to the bathroom and taking a shower, I should have done so last night but by the time I was done with my homework I just wanted to go to bed. After my shower I brushed my teeth and hair and did my makeup for the day. I got dressed and went downstairs.

my parents had already both left for work leaving Celeste and I to get ready and get ourselves to school same as most days

my parents had already both left for work leaving Celeste and I to get ready and get ourselves to school same as most days. Celeste was sitting at the table eating a pop tart. I scrunched my nose up "how can you eat that?" I asked grabbing a protein shake from the fridge. She shrugged and sighed "it's not like you eat perfectly" she said taking an exaggerated bite of her chocolate pop tart. I let out a small laugh and shook my head. I drank my protein shake and looked at Celeste "want a ride to school?" I asked. She flashed me a toothy grin and nodded "please, it's so cold out" I laughed and shrugged. "Well hurry up" I said grabbing my keys. "I'm going to go warm her up" I said and went outside starting my sleek black Impala. After a couple minutes it was warm and Celeste came out with a pop tart in her mouth as she put her bag over her head and shoulders. She slid into the car and smiled "can we stop at Starbucks? I'll pay" she said with a smile. I nodded. "Coffee sounds good" I waited for her to get buckled and pulled out of the driveway heading to school. Starbucks was conveniently about 5 minutes from school, I pulled into the drive through and ordered a white chocolate mocha for me and a double chocolaty chip frappuccino for my sister. I pulled to the first window to pay taking Celeste's card and handing it to the cashier. She scanned it and handed it back with a receipt. I thanked her, gave Celeste her card back and pulled to the second window getting our drinks. "it's never too cold for iced coffee" I said handing Celeste her drink and pulling back onto the road to go to school. Once there I parked in the student parking lot and turned off the cat hoping out. "I'll see you at lunch" I told her as I went to go find my friends. I walked into the school and instantly the scent of vanilla hit my nostrils. It made my head spin. I knew he had to be close, I scanned the crowd of people spotting him. I didn't want to draw any attention to him or myself so it just watched as the boy got into what I assumed was his locker. "Stupid squirrel" I muttered and felt myself flush which confused me further. A body blocked my view causing me to look up. It was John "hey where were you yesterday?" I asked and he smiled sheepishly "with Liz" he admitted. I smiled "oooooh" I teased making him blush "shut up" he pouted causing me to laugh. Luke walked up to us his shoulders slumped over "tired or still sad?" I asked he yawned answering my question. "Why was he sad?" John asked "you'd know that if you were with us instead of your girl." I said. Luke looked at John "your girl?" John laughed nervously. I just let the two of them talk. I looked over to the squirrel again but he was nowhere in sight. The scent of vanilla had also dissipated. I sighed unsure of why I cared.