Chapter 44: The Broken Poké Ball

Start from the beginning

'Gym Challenger!'

As Galvantula scampered after her to climb the steps up to Hammerlocke, a League Staff member blocked their path.

'It's only a formality, but I must check your Badges before allowing you to proceed.'

Handing over her incomplete circle of Badges, Heather wondered what happened to regular people who entered Hammerlocke from the Wild Area.

'Yeah... that's Vega's Flying Badge, Ace's Water Badge and Olive's Grass Badge! On you go.'

A light chill shot through Heather's veins. She looked up. She couldn't see the sky through the sandstorm that also raged there, but the black aura of the Pokémon above was perfectly clear. She also recognised the silhouette within it: Garchomp.

Volo. Or one of his fans. Where are they going? Where did they come from?

From its angle and altitude, it looked like Garchomp took off from the Giant's Cap.

If they're hanging out there, could that be where they took Crobat...? Do I follow them or check out their hideout?

The League Staff member was left bewildered as Cinderace hoisted Heather onto its shoulders. It ran faster than any human. It sprinted off towards the Giant's Cap. They escaped the sandstorm. Heather briefly asked it to pause so Clawitzer could rinse the sand from her eyes. Now she could see clearly... and she saw a blue tent illuminated by a waning campfire.

She recognised that shade of sky blue right away. Before Euphoria replaced it with their Giratina-inspired 'hellscape,' it was the colour of all their merch. Hessie's tent was plain green. It could only belong to Hazel, but Heather already knew that. She showed them the tent when they last talked about Euphoria.

Heather scanned the hills around her. There was no-one but wild Pokémon in sight. She ducked behind a rock and took the flashlight from her bag to point it at the tent. There was someone inside. They scrambled up as soon as they saw the light. The flap flew open. A man crawled out. The new Team Plasma uniform was most like its first incarnation – arguably its most famous, since it appeared in the Black & White movie – but Heather didn't recognise it right away. It was the blatant blue 'P' that she recognised.

'Wh-what are you doing here?!'

'My Gym Challenge! What do you think?!'

'It's past your bedtime! Soz, mate, but I can't let you go now!'

Riiiiight. Sorry, Pluto, but gotta do what I gotta do. I never promised to leave your minions alone... and I have a feeling this guy doesn't work for you anyway.

'Plasmaaaa!'

I... seriously can't believe that's a real thing. I thought it was in the movies for comic relief...

'Go! Cinderace! Pyro Ball!'

The Wild Area was full of rocks and dust for Cinderace to practice forming its fireballs. Heather remembered Holly's Cinderace regularly practicing on targets in the garden. She drew small crosses on rocks and walls for her own Cinderace to practice its aim. Its Pyro Ball scooped up the opposing Klang as soon as it was sent out. It flew into the collapsing tent. By the time its Trainer checked on it, it was unconscious. Grimacing, he sent out a Liepard. Heather switched Cinderace out for Clefairy. Liepard used Fake Out. As if it sensed something, Clefairy glared at its opponent and didn't falter as it was slapped.

'Use Disarming Voice!'

Liepard used Nasty Plot first. Clefairy's Disarming Voice hit it faster than it expected. It was knocked down in a critical hit. It stood and fell again. The Team Plasma Grunt, an unassuming young man with brown hair, was out of Pokémon. Heather thought he was running away, but he ran to the tent to search the charred wreckage for more Poké Balls.

Your stolen ones, huh? But... isn't it just the Lost Kids who steal Pokémon? No. Of course it's not. The rest of Team Plasma probably have Pluto's blessing to steal them... but he doesn't realise they never get released. They just end up on a production line.

The next Pokémon the Grunt sent out was indeed a Shadow Greedent. It was far stronger than his own pitiful Pokémon. Clefairy was crushed under its weight when it charged.

And that isn't actually a stolen Pokémon. It's someone else's Pokémon... someone senior to this loser. It must be one of the ones that knocked me out. You bitch, Hazel. You bitch.

'Clefairy, come back! Go! Cinderace! Use Double Kick!'

Greedent dropped its stash of rotten Berries as it was winded. Cinderace was as furious as Clefairy. Both its kicks were critical hits.

I don't like Team Plasma, either, but... do my Pokémon know something I don't?

Heather switched on the Snag Machine. An Ultra Ball was already in its glove. She threw it. Greedent was scooped up. The rest of the rotten Berries scattered. The Ball rolled violently, but it clicked. There was one more Poké Ball in the tent. As soon as the Grunt threw it, Heather realised why her Pokémon were so angry. Crobat was inside. Its black aura was like the smoke billowing off the fire of hatred in its eyes.

Pluto couldn't know about this. Surely, once he found out, it would prove to him that Team Plasma was a con?

I'll get you back, Crobat. No matter what.

'Cinderace! Come back!'

But my new Pokémon can't do this... he's too strong...

'Go! Glaceon! Use Ice Beam!'

Crobat was faster. It flew up and dived down, slamming Glaceon painfully into the grass. Heather was sure the Grunt had no idea what he was doing, but she recognised that attack as Shadow End. Glaceon fired Ice Beam from the floor. It was as desperate as all of its teammates to get their friend back. As Heather hoped, the icy crystals lingered on Crobat's limbs until it was frozen solid. Its Poké Ball, with a faded sticker from a bunch of Nanab Berries, was still in her bag. She put it in the Snag Machine's glove and threw it. The Grunt only realised then that his Pokémon were being stolen. He stamped on the ball. It shattered.

It was just a Poké Ball with a worthless sticker on it. It wasn't Heather's precious Pokémon. She still felt like a part of her soul shattered with that old ball that the pathetic Grunt destroyed so casually.

The ice smashed as Crobat broke free. Heather kept throwing Ultra Balls with one hand while healing her Pokémon with the other, but she had a sinking feeling that it was hopeless. The Ultra Balls didn't even roll. They shattered instantly. At first, the Grunt hoped he would eventually knock out all of Heather's Pokémon as she feebly tried to snag Crobat, but her supply of healing items never ended. He jumped onto Crobat's back and took off. Heather followed on Garchomp. They were both exhausted and upset. The Grunt was lost in the sandstorm that still raged in the Stony Wilderness.

Well, if they didn't already know who I am, they do now. But... wait... of course they know. Hazel took Crobat. Jahzeel is either lying to Pluto that he doesn't know who I am, or... Pluto lied to me... and where was that Garchomp going?