Chapter 41- Californian Dream

Start from the beginning

She was feeling a little embarrassed to share her financial problems with someone who was filthy rich. He probably didn't understand how hard studying in college can be because he was getting a full scholarship that he didn't even need. It was very unfair and she was embarrassed to admit being envied by the wealth his family had. Especially during these times when she realized her family was plainly poor as compared to his.

But why? You can't miss this chance! -C

I know. But let's see what my parents think. -A

Okay. But I'm begging you please accept the offer. -C

Ally put aside her phone feeling even more exhausted. Her head was pounding with so many things happening simultaneously. She had so many people to think about to take this decision. First was her parents, whether they can actually afford that much toll on their income. There was her own desire to attend such a great university, learn her favorite subjects and be in the city of dreams. Then, there was Cameron whom she wanted to be with and that was possible only if she accepted the offer.

Strangely, she dozed off on the couch for two hours. When she woke up her head felt heavy and she struggled to separate herself from the couch. The lights were on, that meant someone was home. She went up to kitchen and found her mom juggling between various cooking pots.

Her mother noticed her zombie walk into the refrigerator. "Oh you're awake. Look, I bought pastries for you to celebrate."

The thought of delicious sweet cakes made her wander her eyes like a hungry bear. She found her prey on the kitchen counter and attacked it with great vigour. After eating something her brain started functioning again and she asked, "Mom… Can we really afford me going to a private university?"

"Sweetie, do you really want to go?"

"Yes. But-"

Her mother cut her off, "Then don't worry we'll pull some more out of my savings and get a loan if something's still left. And you'll pay for it when you get a job."

She liked the idea, now that her own mind suggested other ways. "I can work part time job there to meet my personal expenses. That way you don't have to spend extra money on me."

"Great. So it's sorted you're going to USC! Your father's gonna be so happy!" After years, she excitedly hugged and patted Ally on the back of the head. She had noticed the shine, the joy beneath the tiredness that her mother carried in her eyes. That hug worked magically, relaxing her nerves, liberating her spirit and erasing negativity out of her mind.

The following night was the best night of the year- even better than Christmas. That night her mother cooked a big meal and her father came relatively early bringing dozens of cookies, cakes and chocolates. They ate together and discussed on Ally's supposedly safe future in a great college. She hadn't experienced a positive family discussion about her in years. Usually they would talk about the uncertain future of her brother or her unwillingness to take up a major in science. She even received a congratulatory call from Alex. He told her the awesome pros and tormenting cons of college life.

She happily went to bed and texted Cameron the good news.

That's freaking great, Parker. I'm so proud of you that I want to kiss you and hug you right now! -C

I'm sending virtual hugs and kisses to you. -A

She typed grinning from cheek to cheek.

I wish I was there with you right now. -C

Then come I'll keep the balcony door open for you. -A