PROLOGUE

❝it's just anatomy, you make up half of mebut still, you don't know me at allyou've been my missing piece, so why aren't you missing me?guess i meant less than i thoughtit's just anatomyhate that you're half of me❞

but still, you don't know me at all
you've been my missing piece,
so why aren't you missing me?
guess i meant less than i thought
it's just anatomy
hate that you're half of me❞

-anatomy, kenzie

chapter zero, ANGELIA MONTGOMERY

 Not a single person saw Daniel Montgomery's death coming. Not his friends, or his ex-wife and most certainly not his fifteen-year-old daughter. The same girl, now sixteen stepped off the ferry on Kildare County Island, though this story would make more sense if you knew the beginning.

Angelia Montgomery was born and raised in sunny California. Back then, she had two happy parents who were happily together. As time passed and as Angelia grew up, her happy parents began to disagree, and though seven-year-old Angelia didn't know why, sixteen-year-old Angelia did. But again, we're talking about the beginning.

It overall took years, but, her happy parents' disagreements turned from small and insignificant to so beyond massive that Angelia thought they'd kill one another.

Unlike Danial's death, his divorce was predictable. Not a single person was surprised. Certainly not surprised by his decision to stay with his daughter in California while his now ex-wife moved to New York City, dreams of becoming a Broadway star.

The years after that were good, Angelia lived solely with her father and she barely heard from her mother apart from on birthdays. When she turned thirteen she experienced her first year of no contact from her mother. She didn't hear from the woman until she was fifteen, her dad's body barely in the ground.

Miranda Adams had decided to become a mother again. Not faltering in her decision to disallow Daniel's half-brother Ian to finish raising his niece.

So against her will, Angelia Montgomery packed her bags and flew to New York City. The woman she hadn't seen in eight years standing in front of her like a stranger.

Angelia reluctantly gave her a chance. Throughout the year that one chance turned into many until Angelia ran out of excuses to hear and chances to give.

When finally, Angelia had been practically forced to confront the reason Miranda wanted the girl around, she wasn't sure how to feel.

One night when Angelia knew Miranda was out scoring some drugs she snooped through the apartment, finding a phone book tucked beneath several missed bill notices and ripped-up letters from Ian. Angelia called who she found out to be her aunt.

It wasn't a long conversation, but enough for Angelia to realize her home situation mirrored Miranda's.

The fifteen-year-old girl sat on her bed and thought through everything and although the past was never a reason to excuse someone's behaviour or actions, Angelia looked at her mother with a new lens.