25:

After my shift at Bridgemart, I drive to Best Buy. I'm scanning the isles, looking for the perfect camera for Ileana. This would be a lot easier if I knew anything about cameras.

After what Illy did for Adam and I, I decided to buy her a new camera, so she can get back to the job she loves. I spend a hefty amount on the camera, memory card, and protection plan. I figure it's worth it to make her happy again.

I sigh and take off my sweater when I pull up to the house. Grabbing the camera, I get out of the car and head towards my front door. It's not hot, it's cool actually, but it's very humid, and the mosquitoes are swarming around. Typical for a March night.

I walk in and Ileana's in the kitchen. I sniff the air and make a sarcastic comment.

"No fire today?"

"Fuck off," she laughs. "I had a hard day."

"What happened?" I ask.

"I've been job hunting all day, but there's nothing good out there. I miss my old job."

I smile and pass her the Best Buy bag.

"Maybe this will cheer you up," I say.

She opens it and her face lights up.

"A new camera?!"

"Yup. A thank you gift, for getting Adam out here."

"Thank you so much, Hailey."

She hugs me tightly.

"I can get back to work!" she squeals.

I smile as she runs off to her room, with her gift.

After reading my morning message from Adam, I get out of bed and start getting ready for the day. I'm going to go visit mama. Right as I'm about to leave, I get another message.

"Can I see you today?"

I smile, flattered that he wants to see me, but I can't just cancel my plans.

"Sorry, visiting my mom today."

Not long after, he replies.

"I'm down for tagging along, if you don't mind. Mom's love me ;)"

I freeze in my tracks and think about it for a second. This is weird, right? We're not dating, why would he meet my mom? And no doubt that my mom would gladly take the opportunity to embarrass me. Also, I'm not really dressed to see him today. I try to come up with an excuse.

"My mom is a lot to handle. She's very unique. I don't think it's a good idea."

It's weak, but I hope he'll accept it.

"I live in New York, I'm always around unique people."

Nope.

"It's her home. I'd have to ask her, I can't just invite you."

"Alright, I see what's going on. Let me know if 'your mom' says I can come. I'm ready <3"

I sigh in relief and grab my keys. On my way out, I see a note that Illy left. She says she went grocery shopping. She must have some money left from before she quit working, because I didn't give her any. Locking my front door, I start on my way to my mom's place.