20:

When I return back home, I no longer hear the sounds of them furiously boning each other, so I assume I'm safe to go relax in my room. With a quick glance at my phone, I see that I have no calls or messages. I decide to call it a night, I have work tomorrow.

I wake up and rush to get ready for work. My phone is dead; it must have died while I was asleep. I didn't even notice that the battery was low. I'll just charge it on my lunch break later.

After grabbing my charger, I grab a slice of toast from the kitchen, to eat on the way to work. I find Ileana in the kitchen, making coffee.

"Morning," I mumble, not really paying attention to her.

"Good morning."

Her tone is more chipper than usual. When I actually look up and pay attention to my surroundings, I notice a large cut on her shoulder. I run a finger over it and she winces, then spins around to look at me.

"What happened? I ask, genuinely concerned.

She paused for a moment before smirking and responding,

"Knife play."

"Oh.."

My toast pops up.

"Nice. Have fun?" I ask, taking a bite of my toast.

She nods. I turn and begin on my way out.

"Alright, I'm heading to work.

"Hailey, wait."

I turn around.

"Yeah?" I say.

"Are we okay? Things seem really tense and I just want things to go back to the way they were. I miss you..."

I smile softly. Life is too short to hold onto grudges and hatred.

"I'm not going to let one little fight ruin a friendship. We're okay, Illy."

She smiles and extends her arms. We hug and it feels like a weight is lifted off me. I actually feel hopeful for the future. This is one of the few times I've ever gone to work in a good mood.

"I love you, Ileana."

"I love you too."

I turn to leave again, and this time I actually make it out the door.

I pull up to BridgeMart and open up shop. By the time I put my stuff in the staff room, there's somehow already a Karen at the counter, ready to complain about the service. I put on a fake smile and take the abuse.

My lunch has rolled around after a long day. I had to ask a prostitute to conduct her businesss somewhere other than this premise before it was even noon, but a crackhead breakdanced for me not too long ago, so nothing too much out if the ordinary today. I gave the breakdancer a pack of trail mix and a tip of $5.

I begin to charge my phone and wait for it to charge enough to power on. After charging enough, I turn my phone on.

Not long after, my phone dings. At 1AM this morning, while my phone was dead, I got a message from Adam.

"Hey. Sorry I didn't message you earlier, I'm tired. Just wanted to let you know that I'm home, I'm safe, and I'm thinking of you. I hope you're sleeping well and this message doesn't wake you."

I smile, knowing that he kept his promise and he's thinking of me, even if it is at an inappropriate hour.