13. mind your business

Micaiah
I slick my hair back as I finish getting ready for work. Jordan and I states feeling better so we got the ok from our doctors to return back to work. I've been staying with Jordan more and I've been enjoying my time here and I think Jordan does enjoy me being here as well. He already left for work and said he'll come see me when he gets off.

I make sure all the lights are off and the doors are closed before leaving out of the apartment. Also Jordan gave me my own key a few days ago "just because." I lowkey do want to fully move in, but I just can't leave my mom. Apparently what I heard from Mason is that our dad was getting the hospice stuff ready for mom. The thing is he didn't tell anyone, Mason just so happen to overhear him talking on the phone.

I think moving in with Jordan would be good and lessen the pain for when the time comes.

• • •

I was minding my business placing new price tags on soccer equipment like my dad told me to do. Mason, Miles, and Micah come around the corner and I can feel them staring at me.

"If y'all got a question y'all might as well ask me instead of staring."

I turn to see Miles and Mason push Micah forward and he gives me a weak smile. Micah has always been my favorite bother and we share a special bond despite him being a twin.

"Hey sis we just wanted to okie hoe was it a get at Jordan's?"

"It was cool got to spend more quality time together."

"Did y'all fuck?"

Miles hits Mason in his chest giving him a look.

"Man y'all need to mind y'all business but no we didn't."

"How come?"

"Didn't I just say mind your business."

My dad comes around the corner with clipboard and I know he about to yell at them.

"What did I tell y'all? Get back to work and leave your sister alone!"

I give my brothers a smile and flip them off going back to what I was doing. The door goes off and I head to the front to see my man looking good as ever.

"Hey baby

"Hey baby."

"Hi", he kissed my lips, "these are for you."

I take the bouquet of roses and smell them before setting them down by the cash register.

"You going to the rec?"

"I was but I actually wanted to go the court at the park just me and you I already got your clothes and shoes in the car."

"We just got off from having the flu and you already want to play ball", I laugh.

"That's all I think about baby and you."

I look down at my watch knowing that I get off in a few.

"Jordan my son in law!"

"Hey Mr. Lawson how are you?"

"Im doing good how about you? Feeling better?"

"Yes sir thanks to your angel", he smiles at me.

My heart swells up and I continue putting new shorts on hangers.

"Well since you're here you know I'm going to put you to work. I need you to go into the system and make sure all the revenue is adding up."

"Yes sir."

We watch my dad walk away and I scoot my chair closer to Jordan.

"You know you might as well work here."

"That's true but I don't mind helping out I'm basically apart of the family with the rate I'm going."

A smile takes over my face and I place a kiss on his cheek rubbing on his ear.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

• • •

I watch as the ball goes in as I make another free throw. Jordan and I just got done playing one on one with each other. He ran me tired and I stopped the game once he dunked on me.

"So I heard there's these dude at the rec on the southside talking mad shit about us."

I hum letting him know I'm listening and to continue.

"They've been saying they can beat us and all this shit...they putting three gs down on the game."

"Well I don't have three thousand just lying around."

"Well if I do."

"Jordan you can't be serious this is risky what if we lose it."

"But we not going to lose it baby I believe in us."

I stare at him for a while and he gives me those puppy eyes I hate but love at the same time.

"Alright I'm in."

"Cool I'll ask Ralen to set it up then."

I just pray and hope we win this money.