𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚜𝚝 𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚎

I shifted in my office's chair looking for a comfortable position, my brain instantly focused in a distant memory while I was trying to work.
Everyday and all the time that memory came up to me in the middle of my tasks, I couldn't stop thinking about it.
I sighed and opened my computer notes.
I knew exactly what to do and that was when I realized, I had only one story to tell.

__

Back in the day, when I was a university first year student with a lot of dreams, I aspired to be successful, to earn a good lot of money and buy a house in the city I was currently living, New York.
I've never felt really connected to the world or to the people around me.
I got used to wander around the city waiting for something interesting to happen.
Freedom was very important to me, wanting to feel like there's no boundaries was the reason that made me move to New York and start my life from the beginning.

NYU was a university with a good ambience but I felt like I needed a little bit of excitement in my life, something adventurous. I needed to free myself.
The routine of waking up, going to the university to have classes of science already started to get boring.
After my last class, I went to the library, a big building with a modern luxurious architecture inside.
I always liked to write stories, poems, songs, whatever was in my mind at the moment so I could forget about the world for a while. I still do it after all this years.

I remember I sat on a chair and took my little notebook off my bag, placing it on the table. I felt inspired that day.
Then started to write my story until the lack of creativity hit me and made me take a break.
While taking a deep breath, I looked around trying to get some inspiration.

Right if front of me was a girl, she looked absolutely fantastic.
The mysterious girl looked to the side as if she felt someone staring at her and locked eyes with me, then shyly smiled and looked at the paper again.
Green eyes, perfect eyebrows, shining dark brown hair with bangs, she was absolutely gorgeous.

What an awkward moment though, I thought to myself.
I started writing again or at least pretending I was doing something.
While looking up at the girl again, I saw her writing something which looked like a song or a poem. Verses was all I could see.

"Interesting."- I thought.

About and hour later I went back to the campus, waiting to wake up and have another boring day in my life.
However, this time that didn't happen.
In the end of the day I convinced myself to have fun, university life couldn't be that boring if I tried a bit.
There was a bar about ten minutes from the campus which called my attention. It seemed more calm than the other places around.

"Guess it's a sign."- I read the name of the bar to myself, "The Bitter End", and entered.

The ambience was good, everyone was minding their own business, someone was singing and the drinks weren't very expensive.
I sat on the balcony and after three shots I already started to feel "really happy". Since I wasn't used to drink very often, the effect was quite quick.

"Hey girl! Are you performing today?"- the bartender waved to someone who just walked through the door.

"Well, if you guys let me, sure I will!"- the girl said, grabbing the drink the barman just served her and drank it in a second. My eyes followed her.

She looked familiar.
I didn't instantly recognized her because of the lighting or maybe because I was a already lost in my drinks. She was the girl from the library.
Some minutes later she was singing while playing the piano, that girl was talented, I could tell.
The way she rhythmically moved and sang.
She was loving what she was doing and I'm sure she knew everyone was loving it too.
When the song finished, everyone applauded and she got back down from the stage.

"You're really good!"- a guy a little bit older than us said. I presumed she was around my age.

"Oh, thank you! "- she laughed.

The alcohol was hitting me hard, I can't really tell if it was good or not for the moment but I just remember I got up, went towards her and said:
"You look fucking gorgeous and your voice is amazing."

"Oh my God, thank you so much. I don't think I've ever received so many compliments in a day!"

"You deserve it! You're really good! I'm Johanna by the way, I didn't introduce myself."- I was euphoric.

"I'm Stefani...and I think I know you from somewhere. Maybe I'm just traveling or something but I really think I've seen you somewhere else."- she said while trying to remember.

"Ah! I think I saw you in the library yesterday."

"That's right! Are you a student here too?"

"Yes, I'm studying science...unfortunately."- I laughed.

"I'm studying music. Do you come to this bar very often? I think I've never seen you here, there's not many girls around this place too."- she looked around.

"No, I actually never came here before. I just told myself I had do have a little bit of fun today."

"You should come more often then."- she gave me a sweet smile.

"Of course, so...see you someday, I guess?"- I didn't know what to say and I started to realize I was drunk so it was better to end the conversation before saying something embarrassing.

"Of course. See you around!"

I waved at her and got out of the bar.
This is the kind of moments I wanted, the ones that you're afraid at first and end up going for it.
That night I couldn't stop thinking about Stefani, she was talented and honestly, she was very inspiring.
I wanted to be friends with her, I thought we'd get away with each other.
She brought me so much joy just through our small talk.