Heartglass 29: Framed

Start from the beginning

I chuckled because I didn't feel humiliated or ashamed at all. Maybe because I was no longer afraid to reveal my weakness to him. I was actually comfortable to be vulnerable when it comes to him. "Well, I can't be good at everything. But I don't think my skills are that poor. I can still improve. I just need to practice. I just need more time to familiarize myself with swords and bow and arrows. Don't you think everything can be solved by diligence and hard work? How about giving me extra lessons? I need more time to practice. Even at night."

Prince Dion sighed and smiled, a little defeated. "I should be happy that you're trying your best but your hands. . . they don't seem to keep up with your diligence. You're hurt. The calluses and the blisters are definitely painful."

I smiled and shrugged. "Well, you want me to win, right? And you're no longer in control with the selection."

"I can still turn the tables if I wanted to," he grinned. "I can force them to choose you."

I chuckled. "And what will you do? Will you threaten them with your childishness?"

He chuckled. "That's kinda sad. You're underestimating the power of the heir to the Crown. Anyway, if you want extra lessons, I can help you. I know you wouldn't want to cheat your way out of this competition," he grinned.

I frowned. "Of course! I will never cheat! Don't underestimate my morals!"

He chuckled. "I know. After the hunting competition, they will definitely announce the selected Crown Princess. By the way, I can only meet you in your extra archery lessons. I still have matters to take care of and investigate. You must be careful at the hunting competition. I will also participate since most noble men will be there. I will watch over you so you don't have to worry."

I furrowed my brows. "Are you investigating the curse?"

Prince Dion nodded. He suddenly turned serious. "Yeah. Kind of. And some other things."

I looked at him with concern. "Did you find something? A way out?"

Prince Dion smiled and it was reassuring. "There's always a way out. Anyway, I'll meet you tonight for your extra lessons."

I scrunched my brows. "Will you personally teach me?"

He smiled mysteriously. "Why not?"

I stared at him with doubt. "You sure I'm going to win this?"

Prince Dion smiled widely. "You will. Trust me."

I shook my head and smiled helplessly. Guess, I don't have to worry too much about the possible outcome of this hunting competition. If he's this confident.

"How about a walk in the garden?" Prince Dion asked with a small smile.

I nodded. "Sure." We got up and went outside the glass greenhouse and visited the garden. There were delphiniums, sweet peas and some red azaleas in the garden which have the most intoxicating scent. The red azaleas suddenly reminded me once again of the curse and death. Yumi and Cherry were following us from behind—a little farther away from us.

I stopped walking and turned to Prince Dion, voicing out my worries. "What if I'm really connected with the witch? And my death is the only way out of this curse?" These questions were once again resurfacing. I couldn't help it.

Prince Dion stood there and faced me. He turned to me with a serious look upon his face. "I won't let that happen. I won't let you die. I'll find another way to fix this curse that doesn't involve death so let's not talk about this anymore. Have faith."

I sighed and nodded. An apologetic smile curled on my lips. "I will trust you then and leave everything to you." I didn't want to say that maybe there was no way to prevent this curse except for my death. I was still hopeful too despite being afraid.