7.2 : Arm's Length

Start from the beginning

“Where are we going?” Lalisa chased him from behind and asked. That direction was not the way back to his home, ah.

“To eat.”

To eat? Lalisa had to run to catch up with his fast paces: ” …… Can we go home to eat? There is still time so we can go to the supermarket to buy groceries first.”

When did she learn how to cook? And for whom?

Jungkook soured, and his voice suddenly became colder by ten degrees: “No need.”

Okay, no need, but …… could you not walk so fast?

“Jungkook, please slow down.” Lalisa said that slightly out of breath, and her hand naturally pulled his sleeve. She did not realize that such action was very intimate.
Suddenly, Jungkook’s heart beat rapidly. When he lowered his head, he saw her fair fingers sinking into his iron-gray suit sleeve.

He did not say anything but slowed down.

They turned right and left and finally entered a very ordinary small restaurant in a small alley. Lalisa curiously looked around the small shop but could not see anything special. Anyhow, often the more unremarkable a place, the more likely there would be delicious food. Jungkook brought her all the way here so it must certainly be pretty good.

The boss came and greeted them warmly: “Mr.Jeon, long time you did not come.”

Lalisa was very surprised that he spoke Y City dialect.

“Quite busy lately.” Jungkook replied back in the same dialect.

The boss looked curiously at Lalisa: “Mr. Jeon, is this young lady your girlfriend? This is the first time I’ve seen you bring your girlfriend along, very beautiful oh.”

Jungkook smiled: “This is my wife.”

“Wife? Mr. Jeon is married? ”

The boss shouted and exclaimed twice, then turned to Lalisa and said: “Mrs. Jeon, you are so fortunate to marry a person like Mr. Jeon. Mrs. Jeon, where do you come from? ”

“I am also from Y City.” Lalisa could understand but could not speak the dialect because her mother came from another city so the family spoke Hangul at home.

While chatting, the boss handed out the menu. Jungkook motioned Lalisa to order the dishes so she flipped through the menu. She noticed that the shop’s signature dishes included bamboo shoots such as bamboo shoots chicken, fresh bamboo shoots shredded pork, fresh bamboo shoots fried sauerkraut …… This was not surprising because Y city produces bamboo shoots, and it was the season now.

She loved to eat bamboo shoots but …… better not order them.

After she ticked the dishes on the list, she handed it to the boss. He looked at it and complained surprisingly: “Mrs. Jeon, since you are also from Y City, why don’t you eat bamboo shoots?”

Would not eating bamboo shoots be very strange? Jungkook did not eat them. Previously, when they had meals together, he always said the bamboo shoots had a strange taste so no matter how she tried to trick him, he always refused to eat even one bite.

” …… Mr. Jeon orders them every time he comes here.”

When the dishes were served, Jungkook’s chopsticks never touched the bamboo shoots.

Lalisa asked: “Why aren’t you eating? The boss said …..” Suddenly, she could not continue.

Why would every time he came, he also ordered them, ah?

Jungkook kept quiet, then a long time later, he said briefly: “Difficult to decline magnificent hospitality.”

Coincidentally, she was chewing a piece of bamboo shoot in her mouth, but she could no longer taste the freshness and sweetness. After she swallowed it, like Jungkook said, it had a strange taste.