3 - Nightmares Aren't Real...Are They?

The hybrid didn't dream often.

She wondered if it was because her mind was 'too full' to create a set of lasting flashes in her mind. Or maybe it was because Tee didn't dream and as they were mainly attached to her subconscious, it influenced her ability to dream? Perhaps she was simply too fearless to have nightmares (this certainly couldn't be true though because moths were bound to be the death of her)? Maybe it didn't bother her as much before when she knew Tee was with her but, without dreams or nightmares, it just reminded her of how empty she felt.

However, the night following the incidents of her horrific reflections, while she slept, she found herself in the destroyed foyer of the New York sanctum. Broken lights dangled by threads from the ceiling, wires torn and still sparking with the remnants of electricity. The once exquisite staircase now barely reached the second floor and the grand doors to the outside of the Sanctum behind her were locked tight by dozens of locks.

Where...?

To her relieved delight, the glowing orb of her Entity manifested by the doors.

"Tee?"

Tessa?

She bolted over, only to be stopped a several meters away by one of its gaunt, gangly limbs.

No! Don't...do not come closer.

"Are you okay? Where are you? What happened?"

Tessa, I am still with you but...there is a situation...

On cue, the doors behind the Entity began to rattle and through the windows either side of the doors came that memorable, menacing crimson glow. Hurriedly, the Entity moved to the centre of the door and again broke out in the shape of a morning star, each of its many arms finding some space to dig into, securing the door further.

Let me in, Tessa!

"Is that the other?"

Yes...

"How?"

I thought I had rid it from you but a remnant of it remained and has bonded with your subconscious. I repressed myself and, consequently, it to protect you. If it gets out, if it reaches your conscious, I fear the worst for you, child.

Tessa shook her head, "What are you saying?"

I will keep you alive but you will likely not see me again. I will be with you but concealed like before - for your own good.

"But Tee - "

I can hear her, brother. Finally, she is near. Let me at her!

The doors rattled wildly again.

Tessa, I need you to go. I don't know how you have contacted me but it is not safe. You need to leave.

"I don't know how I got here, how I got to you. Didn't you call to me?"

No.

"Tessa, baby! Where are you?" Thea's scream echoed all around the sanctum from every direction possible, "Jackson! Jackie!"

Looking everywhere for the source of the voice, Tessa spun, a single word on her lips that she had given up calling for long ago and had never expected to call for again, "Mom?"

As she looked to the second floor landing, the sound of doors being shoved open echoed and to her nauseating shock, her mother appeared at the top, skidding to a halt as she reached the edge and realised the stairs were now debris.

"Oh! I'm sorry, I don't know where I am or - or who you are? Do you know where they are? Where my husband and daughter are? Their names are Tessa and Jackson Hyde."