14

Elizabeth's gaze fell upon the large number of people occupying the space near a large paddock where a group of men was riding horses

Elizabeth's gaze fell upon the large number of people occupying the space near a large paddock where a group of men was riding horses. Her gaze fixated on the man who was the only one not wearing a shirt which she assumed was the person they came for who had the sarcophagus.

Elizabeth fidgeted, playing with the ends of her shirt to help calm her nerves as she went over and over with what Layla had told her. The whole reason Layla had tarted her up was to distract him, Elizabeth was the kind of woman that was enough to drive his attention away from everything else. It was flattering but Elizabeth felt disgusted by the fact that the man would not be able to keep his hands off of when they arrive.

The boat reached the docks, Marc was the first one to step out into the wooden platform. His eyes scanned their surroundings cautiously. But he took his attention away from them, helping Elizabeth whose bottom lips caught in between her teeth in deep concentration as she held onto the wooden platform, trying her hardest not to lose balance and fall.

Marc found this amusing, a low chuckle rumbling from his chest as he captured her attention by tapping her head. Elizabeth lifted her head, releasing her bottom lip as her jaw fell slack. Their eyes connected for a brief second, Elizabeth had to look away when she realized she was staring far longer than she was supposed to. Her gaze flickered to his hand, immediately taking it.

Elizabeth sipped her head down, hiding how flushed her cheeks were until her left foot caught on the edge of the boat, losing her balance and causing her to lurch forward just to regain it.

"Woah," Marc exclaimed, swiftly taking her arms to support her as she collected herself. "I got you. I got you."

"I'm sorry," Elizabeth muttered softly, her voice filled with embarrassment as she lifted her gaze from the ground. Their gaze connected once more, and her heart began racing when Marc's lips curled into a soft smile.

"It's okay. How's your foot?"

"It's fine." Elizabeth spared a glance at her foot, thankful that she didn't sprain it or it would've been a huge hindrance and it would slow them down. Returning her gaze to Marc, only at that moment did she realize how close they were so she took it upon herself to step back while clearing her throat.

Marc only noticed it at that moment as well, he blinked a couple of times to snap out of his stare when he realized.

Layla glanced between the two, her eyebrows knitted together in confusion as she walked to the edge of the boat before tossing a bag in Marc's way.

"This guy's got a lot of friends." Marc pointed out as he looked at the party occurring behind them, anything to distract himself from the awkward tension between him and Elizabeth.

"Yeah," Layla retorted as she hoisted herself up to the platform, "With a lot of guns."

Elizabeth grimaced as she eyed the guard lined along the paddock behind the party, all of the guards stationed there had guns strapped to them. Seeing them caused her to grip her weapon tightly until her knuckles turned white.