Chapter 4 : Touch

Start from the beginning

"Fourteen." She wrote a small line in her notebook. The lab had kindly furnished her room better, with a table and a chair. She had few books she could write on to pass some time. They also gave her a comb, to brush her long silky hair. She arrived in the Rainbow room, and he was there. He didn't look, nor spoke with her. He spoke to Eleven, but not here. She sat down on the opposite end of the room, carrying her notebook with her. She was angry. Very angry. She hated this place. Why could he speak to Eleven and not her? Maybe they were doing this on purpose. Papa entered the room, like every repetitive morning. She stood up and placed herself in line. She wasn't trying to look at him anymore.

"Good Morning Children"

"Good Morning Papa." They replied. She stayed silent, like always.

"Today, we are all going to have individual work to do. Twenty, we will start with you."

"Yes Papa," she nodded.

"Come along please," He said and she followed behind him. They entered a room with a table and a chair. There were a few machines on the table and the wired helmet. She sat down, and she noticed he was there with her. She never did the exercises with the others. Different, they said. Too different.

"I'm going to get a few people for this exercise Twenty. Stay here, just for a few minutes." The door closed.

For the first time, they were in a room together again, after two weeks. He placed the helmet on top of her hair. She kept on looking down. He then covered her eyes with a thin white piece of fabric. She felt his finger in the back of her head, making a knot. She could feel like he was still behind her and then, he spoke.

"I have to attach your hands behind your back for this exercise, try not to move," he said. She nodded and felt his hands bring her two arms behind her back. He snapped a pair of cuffs on her wrists. He caressed her forearms and she stayed quiet. He must have stood back up because she felt him pressed against her shoulders.

"Good luck," He said near her right ear. She felt an adrenaline rush shock through her body. "You will be a good girl like you always are." He whispered and walked away. Her face must have betrayed her. The door opened again.

"Something wrong Twenty? You look a bit distracted, and your face is... blushed?" Papa said before earing multiple footsteps.

"N-no Papa. Just a bit hot." She replied.

"Good. Now Twenty, I know the cuffs might be a bit scary, but it's because we have special guests, and they just wanted to see you and feel... In security."

"It's okay Papa. I understand." She replied.

"Excellent. Now twenty, would you please tell me what is Twelve doing right now?" She focused and find him with no effort. It was too easy.

"He is in the Rainbow Room with Eleven, Fifteen, Three, and Five." She replied.

"Good job, now, can you describe to me what our lovely guests are wearing?" He continued.

"Yes. There is a lady, she is wearing a black suit with strange pointy shoes. There are two men with her, both wearing the same black ensemble, and with dark brown leather shoes?" She detailed.

"Excellent. Now, would you mind doing a demonstration for them? This might sting a little."

"That's okay Papa." She replied.

"You have become such an obedient girl..." He said before the doors opened again. More footsteps. She heard someone to her left. She felt a light poke in her ribs and then heard electric shocks. She couldn't feel a thing.

"Raise the voltage please. 120 volts," Papa said. She felt the poking again, except this time it stung a bit more. She was a bit uncomfortable. "Are we okay there Twenty. Tell me how you feel."

"It stings a little bit, but doesn't hurt." She replied.

"Good. You did a good job today Twenty. I am very proud of you. Please, follow me outside." There were more footsteps, and then the door closed. She felt someone uncuffing her, and then removing her blindfold. She looked up, expecting to see him but it was another guard.

"What? Not happy to see me? I can leave you here if you want." He snapped before rolling his eyes. She lowered her head and her lips turned into a frown. Why wasn't he there again? She removed her wired helmet and placed it on the table.

"Hurry up, we don't have all day. Go back to either your bedroom or the Rainbow room" The guard said before opening the door. She nodded, following him. She decided to skip dinner, and stayed in her room. She was upset. She missed him. His blue eyes. She remembered the feeling of his breath on her neck. She reminisced the way he touched her forearms and hands. She looked at her wrist and followed the visible veins. She remember the kiss he planted and the way he looked in her eyes. She brought her wrist to her lips and planted a kiss in the same area. If only that could be his lips. Why don't you look at me? Was he scared about her getting hurt? If only she could speak without being watched. This place was a nightmare. She craved his touch and gaze. She shook her head and sighed. There must be a way to speak without being watched... And then she realized. Paper. She could write to him instead. Maybe, this was the way.