Rooster and Flow- Bradley Bradshaw

Start from the beginning

I walked downstairs after leaving the clothes on the floor, deciding to go to the kitchen and make some tea, especially since I'd now concluded I probably wasn't going to sleep any time soon. I started on the drinks for the both of us, turning on the radio to a quiet volume and humming quietly along to it as I did so, not noticing the shower turn off or the sound of the bathroom door opening and closing again. 

A few moments later the kettle had finished boiling, and as I finished pouring the hot water into two mugs, I found small arms wrapped around my waist. I put down the kettle, placing it on its small holder as I wrapped one arm over her shoulders, "I made you tea," I said quietly as she looked up at me with big eyes - eyes that showed an increasing amount of vulnerability that I had never seen in her before - before she let go of me and took a mug off the counter, walking to the front room with me following behind her with my mug. 

We both sat down on the creme sofa, the two of us putting our mugs down on the small table on the side of it. She sat with her legs crossed, as she usually did when she sat on any sofa or stool, and looked over at me, "I'm sorry for bothering you, Roo. I know you only just got some time off."
"It's alright, sweetheart," I comforted, "I'm always here for you, you know that."
"Well yeah but not expecting you to be there for me at," she paused, glancing at her phone, "3 in the morning."
"Well, I am always here," I chuckled, "Even at 3 in the morning."

 Rhea looked away from me again, "Do you want to talk about what's happened?"
"They grouped up on me again," she replied and I felt my jaw clench, "And I know it's stupid for such little things to get on my nerves, especially considering my position in Top Gun, but some of the stuff Hangman comes out with really hurts," she chuckled sorely, "Why am I saying that like you wouldn't know? I know you know." She let out a sigh and grabbed her mug of tea, taking a small sip before holding the mug and continuing, "It just got really bad today and I snapped. I hit Hangman straight in the face."
"As you should've," I replied, "Just wait till I see him I swear--"
"Roo just leave it be, please," she said quietly, having another sip of her tea as she spoke.

I sighed, glancing over at her, "I make no promises."
"I can work with that," she giggled quietly, but it soon faded as she reminded herself why she was here in the first place, "He said that it was my fault you almost died the day me you and Mav got stuck in enemy territory. That if I had just listened to orders maybe then you and Mav wouldn't have to keep an eye out for me all the time." She frowned, her brows furrowing as she seemed to begin to rant, "If I hadn't defended Phoenix and Bob I don't think I ever would've forgiven myself. But now I still don't forgive myself for putting you and Mav in danger. If I had lost you I don't know what I would have done, Roo."

I gently lifted my hand to her face, wiping away the tears that dribbled down her soft pink cheeks, "Hey ignore that asshole. He's chatting out his ass because he's annoyed he couldn't save Phoenix and you did. And you won't lose me, Rhea, I'm too talented for that," I joked, smiling at the smile I received in turn, "Plus I know you wouldn't let that happen. If we go down then we go down together, right?" 

I felt a warmth in my free hand, looking down to see that Rhea had put my hand in her own, our fingers now intertwined as she held my hand gently, "Together." She agreed with a nod, looking up at me.

Her usual smirk was back on her face, the confident glitter that always seems to shine in her eyes now back. I smiled as I admired her, watching as the colour regained itself on her gorgeous face as she seem to observe me also. The ravenette held her other hand up, holding her pinky up as a sign of promise, "Forever?" I lifted my spare hand to intertwine with hers, the two of us sharing a similar smile, "Always." We both continued into quiet conversation after that until eventually, we both faded into sleep in each other's arms, our teas left cold on the table.