[ 010 ] ❝ namoi osaka vs. lucía martinez, miami finals ❞

Start from the beginning

The opening game ended 6-4 to Lucía. She fist pumped the air before making her way to her bench to grab a water bottle, the countdown for their break beginning, before the second set started. 

Dominated. If Lucía had to use one word to describe the second set of games it would be dominated. Because that's what she did. She won all six sets making the score 6-0, which meant she had won both games, and therefore the overall match. She had won the Miami Open. Crouching down on the floor she held her hands up to her mouth, out of breath but in shock. She had just won in Miami. A smile was begging to escape but she bit her lip to try and contain it, alongside the squeal of pure joy she wanted to release. She stood up and jogged over to the bars where she could reach up and grab her physios hands. James, decked out with sunglasses shading his eyes, cheered loudly as he grabbed her hands, leaning down and over the railing. 

"You did it bitch!" Sebastián yelled, reaching down to snatch the cap off of her head. 

"Hey," She giggled, leaning to the side to take a photo with a fan who held their phone out for a selfie. 

"Lucía!" Her name was called by the fans around her as she made her way back through the court, finding Naomi to give her a hug. 

Naomi was first presented her second place award, holding the glass trophy as she addressed the crowd. Lu watched with a smile and wanted to cry when Naomi started talking to her. She was honestly one of the sweetest people she has ever met. With an adorable laugh too.

"I want to congratulate Lucía, hi," she waved across the court at the English player, who waved back as Naomi let out a giggle. "I was just thinking yesterday, about erm, that dinner I had with you in Australia and just watching your journey is really incredible. I wanna congratulate your team as well," She gestured a hand in their direction, "you're a really incredible, amazing person and I hope that you guys, you know, keep going forwards. So congratulations. And being a little bit selfish I'm going to take up some more time and congratulate my team for pushing me forwards after the things that happened two weeks ago, I don't know- they're kinda like the rock that stays by my side." She finished her speech off after thanking the crowd and the fans, apologising to her team for not getting the result they would have wanted, before waving and stepping down and away from the microphone. As she passed Lucía who was ready to take over now, Lu pulled her in for another hug, both girls giggling and smiling. 

"Lucía Martinez, becomes only the fourth woman in history to win the Sunshine double, and the first woman ever to win the first 3 1000 tournaments of the year, so let's hear from your champion." She lifted her trophy up for a photo before holding it in a tight grip as she manoeuvred the microphone so she could speak into it. 

"Erm, hello everyone." She greeted the crowd, almost shyly. "Firstly, I wanted to say that I'm- I'm really glad we were able to play this match, er, more specifically against each other. I think it's the start to a great rivalry, a friendly one-" She laughed along with the crowd, "I remember watching you win the- the US Open in 2018," She recalled, "And I never thought I'd be playing against you, especially in such an important match. You're such an inspiration and this sport wouldn't be as good without you." They shared a smile. She listed her sponsors, thanking them all. "I also want to thank my brother,  Sebastián who has been here since the first match, he's annoying but supportive. My friends have travelled to Miami too which makes me so happy." She looked in the general direction of where she knew Charles, Pierre and Katerina were, chuckling and trying not to cry from happiness. "It's a great event, especially with the fans compared to last year. This tournament has so much energy and it's been a pleasure playing here. I love seeing all the British fans travelling to support their country and you guys have really kept me going this week so thank you." She smiled and waved at the crowd. "I want to thank my team. I actually missed you crying so I- I hope someone caught it on camera," She laughed, speaking to James directly. As she spoke she felt herself get more and more emotional, which she was sure could be heard in her tone and the small breaks in her voice but she managed to keep it cool and finish her speech.