10.3 - The Dark Era

Start from the beginning

"Y'know," Dazai commented after a good few moments of silence, "I'm thirsty."

"I will have someone buy you a drink." Hirotsu gave a flick of his finger, signaling the subordinate by his side to go. The black-suited mafioso then rushed off in a fluster.

"Get me a coffee with lots of milk. Make sure to cool it off!" Dazai cheerfully yelled out as the man dashed away. "Oh, but no ice, okay? If you can get me a decaf, that'd be even better. And double the sugar, please!"

"Hey, get me one as well!" You ordered. "A black one, and make sure it's hot!"

Two halves of the same coin indeed.

Watching the Mafia grunt depart in a cold sweat, Dazai dropped his voice to a murmur. 

"Hirotsu-San, the enemy didn't attack just any armory. They went after one of the three major armories containing the Port Mafia's emergency weapons supply," he explained, showing you the pictures.

"It's heavily guarded, and an alarm sounds if anyone enters the area without permission. But these guys easily got past all that, and they sneaked in using the actual passcode—something only subexecutives and higher would know," you realised. "So how did the enemy get their hands on such top-secret information?"

Hirotsu's face tensed. There were only three possibilities: A Port Mafia member was tortured into talking, someone had a skill that enabled them to extract information, or there was a traitor within the organization. All three options spelled a worst-case scenario.

"This entire area is going to turn into a war zone." Dazai gazed at the city skyscrapers and gave a small smile. "That over there is gonna end up a pillar of flames. I can already see the sky burning crimson."

"Do you know anything about the enemy organization?" Hirotsu asked, suppressing his emotions.

"I tortured the prisoner we captured yesterday, but couldn't get him to talk," you sighed. "The guy just waited for the right moment and killed himself with the poison he was hiding in between his molars. The only thing we got out of him was the enemy organization's name."

As if to portend the next word that would leave your mouth, you shot Hirotsu a grim, piercing stare. Your eyes portended an incoming storm of bloodshed and violence that would haunt the average person's dreams for days on end.

"...Mimic."

It wasn't long before the two of made your way home, stopping by at a few markets to kill time. Days like these were your favourite, for the two of you got a chance to pretend like you were leading a normal life. Times like these were also when the two of you were the most sentimental.

"Look at this pendant," you awed. "I think it would suit you, hm?"

"You think I should wear this instead of my tie?" Dazai laughed.

"Definitely," you snorted, handing the shop owner some cash. "At least keep it as a good-luck charm or something."

"My, my, N/N-chan, who knew you could get so sentimental?" Dazai teased.

"You two make an adorable couple," an older lady remarked.

"O-oh," you gaped, a light blush dusting your cheeks. "Thank you, ma'am."

Due to the two of you dating in secret, you never heard things such as this. The only one who ever said something was your best friend, and he only tended to remark the fact that both your shitty personalities were made for each other. But then again, he wasn't always like that. After all, it was his idea for Dazai to get you matching watches for your third anniversary.

The two of you owed him a lot, to some extent.

"Man, today's been too hectic," Dazai groaned, collapsing onto your bed soon after.

"You've just been playing video games all day, what could've possibly been hectic?" You laughed.

"Mean!" Dazai pouted, resting his head onto your lap.

If anyone saw the two of you acting the way you did, they would immediately lose respect for both of you. That was even more reason to cover your relationship up, for Dazai and you were both extremely secretive people that preferred to not be vulnerable around anyone but yourselves.

"Aww, poor baby," you mocked, leaning down to kiss him.

Dazai practically pulled you onto him, the two of you lying on your bed.

"We should take a picture together," Dazai mumbled against you.

"What's the occasion?" You asked.

"Just a little something for us to look back on," he smiled, snapping a few pictures of the two of you.

The camera instantly printed them out, allowing the two of you to keep a copy each. Once he'd finished, you leaned against his chest, contemplating falling asleep on it. Truth be told, you would've, except Dazai ended up getting a call from Oda. You jolted in surprise, both of you looking down at the phone.

"Ignore it," Dazai shrugged, lying back down.

"Osamu, it seems urgent," you insisted. "Gut feeling. Take it."

Dazai nodded apologetically, and got up to take the call, feigning cheerfulness as he spoke to his friend. Suddenly, his smile dropped.

"I'm sorry, I need to leave," Dazai apologised, pressing a chaste kiss against your forehead. "It's an emergency!"

With that, he left, rushing out the door as he yelled out orders to his subordinates. 

Suddenly you felt as if that picture was the last one you'd have together.