It was a cold summer night, July 4, 1853, to be precise, and the wealthiest of families had all come together for a night of celebration, a night of dancing and a night of finding a wealthy enough family to marry your daughters off to. The Ivey family was moderately wealthy, wealthy enough to attend the ball at least. Ingrahm Ivey was the man of the house who had two lovely daughters, Adelaide and Lilly, and a wonderful wife named Catherine. The family had been invited to the event by their family friends, the Oakleys, who they had known for quite some time now, first meeting due to the fact that they were neighbours.

Adelaide found herself off to the side of the dancing hall, next to her friend and neighbour, Mira Oakley

"I think your father has his eyes on Mr. O'Dell," chirped Mira, humour laced with her voice. Adelaide lifted her chin to look over the crowd at her father who most definitely had his eyes on Mr. O'Dell, another wealthy man, of course, she didn't expect much.

Adelaide's nose scrunched up in disgust, "Oh goodness, don't even make me think about that, I would much rather be beheaded than get married to that man's son."

Mira chuckled before falling silent. Two feet stopped in front of Adelaide and a hand extended itself in front of her. "May I have this dance," a man Adelaide had definitely not seen before asked cautiously, as if afraid of being rejected. The orchestra began playing the next song and the man started looking panicky.

Mira gave Adelaide a small push and she let out a soft sigh and took the man's hand, throwing a meaningless glare back to Mira as she was swept away to the dance floor.

It felt like an eternity later when Adelaide returned to Mira's side, out of breath and irritated. The man, who she learned was named Jonah Reams, had stepped on her toes one too many times during their dance, and he would not stop talking, it truly was annoying. "I dislike dancing so much." Expressed Adelaide, leaning against her friend slightly.

Mira hums in agreement before she hooks her arm around Adelaide's elbow and pulls her with her, leaving the ballroom.

"Where are we going," questioned Adelaide, struggling to keep up.

"The gardens," Mira said plainly, continuing on her way.

The two walk through an arch and into the cool garden, they find a patch of grass and sit down delicately, not wanting to stain their dresses. The grass was soft and plush, acting as a soft pillow. Mira pulled Adelaide down onto the ground completely so they were both lying down and looking up at the stars.

Twinkling silver spheres of flame and light covered the skies, accompanied by the familiar moon overhead. It was breathtaking, the skies were clear and the constellations were bold against the ebony sky.

"Wow," exclaimed Adelaide.

"Yea, it's beautiful isn't it." Said Mira, Adelaide nodded despite the fact that Mira probably didn't see her.

"I wish we could stay here forever, it's much more peaceful than being indoors with all of those people. Honestly, I'm just tired of my father constantly trying to set me up with some man I don't even know or love, I just want to live my life without having to get married," expressed Adelaide, turning her head towards Mira who was already looking at her.

"You wouldn't want to get married to me either? I'm hurt, Ady." Mira dramatically placed a hand on her chest, feigning hurt. Adelaide elbows her side, laughing. The two fall into a peaceful silence, once again returning their eyes to the sky.

Mira broke the silence, "We could run away."

Adelaide didn't take it too seriously, Mira had always been saying that kind of stuff about how they should both run away together without even telling anyone and how they would live on a humble farm in a small little cottage together where they could go out and watch the stars every night without being afraid of getting caught by their parents. Mira loved the stars, honestly, she just loved the night sky in general. Adelaide didn't really understand why she loved it so much but she didn't question Mira. "Oh wouldn't that just be swell," she said wistfully.