Chapter Two

Rosalie scrambled aimlessly in the streets, too disoriented to call apologies to people she knocked down in her haste to get away from her pursuing past. She ran until her legs burned as if they are on fire and her lungs screamed at her to stop immediately, but she didn't until she plowed straight into another soft and warm body, knocking the air out of her. On her back, blinking back tears at the bright sky, she cursed Mother Earth for the beauty of today. It should not have been so sunny and bright today, it should have been grey and dreary for Talla. But she would wanted her death to be bright and cheerful. She would hated a rainy day. The angel in Rosalie's mind insisted. She would have also hated your tears, she would have wanted you too smile and take care of Ms. Nettie for her! The devil chimed in. Logic won and Rosalie agreed. Talla would have wanted her to take care of her aunt. Wiping away her tears, she stayed on her back, still staring at the sky until she can smile genuinely again. Smile and everything will look brighter. No matter what happens, as long as you have the will to live and the hope, you will survive any condition. A small voice in the back of her head whispered, almost as if the rule had been drilled into her head.

She was jerked back to reality by a gentle but firm kick in her ribs and a concerned voice. "Is she okay? Oh my God, I'm so sorry. Why aren't you getting up?" A soft and melodic voice asked frantically. Rosalie sat up slowly and offered a small and hesitant smile at the expensively dressed stranger, her splash of crimson hair exotic in the sea of blondes, brunettes and black. "I was learning how to smile again." She replied quietly, not caring if she des Rosalie crazy. The stranger blinked and her dark hazel green eyes narrowed, Rosalie was scared that she had offended her when the stranger suddenly burst out laughing. "You are a strange one, I like you." The girl announced. She was younger than Rosalie, probably fourteen or fifteen, beaming up at her as if she had received her favorite gifts for her birthday. "I'm Allison. Call me Allie. What's yours?" The girl offered Rosalie a hand and she took it gratefully. A small whisper of caution lingered at the back of her mind, telling her that the name Allison sounded familiar but she still answered with all the sincerity she have. "I'm Rosalie, call me Rose. It's nice to meet you Allie." Rosalie replied, a small smile playing at her lips. Allie beamed back.

"Why are you learning how to smile again?" The younger girl asked, Rosalie noticed two armored men standing behind her, lingering uncertainly. She deemed that this girl must be either really important or wealthy to hire personal bodyguards. "Someone close to me died today of the Blood Fever. I was sad but I remembered that Talla would wanted me to smile and move on." Rosalie replied, genuinely, she have no idea why she was telling the girl all this, but Allie reminded Rose of Talla's cheerful and bubbly attitude. Allie frowned but she didn't say that she was sorry and Rosalie is thankful for that because it would not had been genuine. Allie suddenly reached for a long stemmed flower at a stall next to them, dropping a piece of silver coin to satisfy the owner's protests and handed Rosalie the flower. "Give this to Talla. I've heard that flowers meant rebirth and I wish her a happy family to be reborn into." Allie wrinkled her nose and added a uncertain " At least I think it does." Rosalie laughed and accepted the flower, this small and simple action had touched her right in the heart "Thank you, she would've liked that."

Allie grinned and added wistfully "I like you, I wish you could come back with me. You are so much better than my cousins or my last Lady-in-Waiting." She mused. Rosalie blinked, surprised "Lady-in-Waiting?" Allie nodded earnestly "Would you like me to be mine? Daddy said that I could choose whoever I wanted for my birthday." Rosalie blinked in shock again, the name Allison finally caught up with her. "Wait, you're the Allison? Daughter of King Francis and the new Queen Lilac?" She blurted, shocked. "Don't scream it to the whole world. Daddy is going to furious if he finds out I've sneaked out again." Allie hissed, clapping a hand over Rosalie's mouth.

"I would really like you to become my Lady-in-Waiting, please?" Allie pleaded, batting her large doe-like eyes at Rosalie. Rosalie sighed and replied "I already have a job at the tavern. I'm sorry that I couldn't accept, your highness." Allie frowned deeply and she suddenly stomp her foot like a young child "Don't call me your highness. That is the exact reason I left the palace. The your highnessses, your majesties, princess, is tiring me out! I hate it!" She complained.

"I'm so sorry Allie." Rosalie glanced up at the sky, the sun had moved a lot, it was almost noon and Ms. Nettie would be worried. She backed away several feet and held out her hand in a surrendering pose "I have to leave. My employer would be worried. Maybe I'll see you again sometimes." She turned away, ready to flee when Allie called "Wait! Would you at least think about my preposition? The pay is really good!" Rosalie glanced back and smile half-heartedly "I'll think about it Allie. Thanks for the flower!" she waved the plant at the princess and dashed away.

"I'll be here waiting when you change your mind! Don't be too long!" Allie cried. Rosalie smiled, half-amused. Such an arrogant and confident child.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE CLOSING THE TAVERN?" Rosalie screeched at Ms. Nettie. The old woman looked up tearfully and wailed "We don't have enough money. Just you and me won't get all the serving, cleaning and cooking done! We have to! I want to give Talla a beautiful funeral next month! She deserves it!" Rosalie squeezed her eyes shut to stop the tears from spilling out again. Tallla does deserve a good funeral but what will they do without the tavern?

"What will we do then? Without the tavern means no income. Without money means no food. And without food practically means death!" Rosalie shrieked. Ms. Nettie buried her face in her hands miserably and mumbled "It was a spur of the moment action. I won't blame you if you want to leave." Rosalie took a deep breath and placed a hand on Ms. Nettie's shoulder "Don't worry, I'll find something to do and look after you. It's the least I can do for Talla. It's the least I can do after you feed and let me live with you guys for all these years. I won't abandon you like this." She assured the older woman. Ms. Nettie looked up and croaked "But you won't have a job. It's hard to get a job these days, population level is too high." Rosalie sighed and looked out at the setting sun, it was true it'll be hard to get a jo-, wait a second. I'll be waiting here when you change your mind. Don't take too long. Allie had informed her, eyes sparkling.

She sucked in a deep breath and grabbed her cloak "I thought of something! Someone offered me a place as the Lady-on-Waiting for a lady. It's a well paying job, we won't starve!" Slipping the cloak around her shoulders, Rosalie opened the door of their small cottage. "But-" Ms. Nettie started to protest but Rosalie was already gone.

Sprinting for the same flower stall she last saw Allie at, Rosalie desperately hoped that the princess hadn't already left. Crossing her fingers, she rounded the corner and spotted the familiar red head. She sitting properly and neatly at a wooden table, sipping what Rosalie presumed is warm milk. At least she hoped it was warm milk. Rosalie dashed over, slammed a hand on the table before Allie, startling both herself and the princess. "I changed my mind, when do I start?"

Allie, once she got over her shock, beamed, a smile curving over her lips "Right now."