004. hopper!

chapter four
hopper!

Avery finally made it to the diner, entering it with a large smile as she spotted her little women book sat on the counter

Avery finally made it to the diner, entering it with a large smile as she spotted her little women book sat on the counter. The blonde practically skipped over to it, picking it up and holding it close to her chest. Laughter caught her attention causing her to spin to face the person. Sat in one of the booths was her father, his face full of amusement as he watched her.

"Don't laugh at me." Avery told him sternly, moving over and sitting opposite him.

"Why can't I? You just got extremely excited over a book." Theo shrugged sending her a look.

"It's Little Women, dad." Avery emphasised. "It's my book. It's my favourite book ever. You used to read this to me when I was little. I read this book to... This book is everything to me."

"I know. I'm just teasing you because I find enjoyment in it." Her father stated. Avery laughed softly before her smile dropped completely as she stared at her book. Theo leant forward when he noticed her solemn face. "You okay Aves?"

"Yeah. I-It's just everything's different, and it just—it feels weird." Avery admitted quietly.

"I know, after everything with Will and your little friend El going missing. I can't imagine what it's like to just have to go back to normal." Theo nodded in understanding.

"No, that's the problem." Avery disagreed, shaking her head. "Nothing is normal. What is normal? Because Hawkins is not normal, not anymore... not ever again."

"Avery, what are you talking about?" Theo asked. Avery placed her head in her hands for a moment.

"It's a long story." She sighed.

"I've got time." Theo smiled. Avery took a breath, narrowing her eyes ever so slightly.

"Okay, uh, you ever heard of dungeons and dragons?" Avery smiled awkwardly. Theo nodded allowing Avery to dive into explaining everything that had happened the last year, the diner being basically empty so no one heard them. Theo listened carefully, learning about El's powers and why she had gone 'missing', the Demogorgon and the labs role in it all.

"That's a lot." Theo blinked a few times when the girl finished. "I understand why nothing is normal now."

Avery hummed in agreement. "Yeah. And the kids are so little, it's tough."

"They'll be okay." Theo reassured her, placing his hand over hers. "We'll all be alright."

"I sure hope so." Avery smiled weakly.

——————————

The next morning, Avery's breakfast was interrupted by a call from Mike. The boy rambled down the phone, his voice full of concern as he told Avery that Hopper had gone missing and according to Will could die. Avery had told her dad, the two quickly getting ready. She had put on a pair of bootleg jeans and an oversized queen shirt, putting her converse on and following her dad into the car.