His Favorite Mistake

Start from the beginning

Shit, Chris, you didn't.

"I did.  I told them how much I love Charlie and Becca. She's here now after her father went after her."

How bad?

"I'm benched.  I'm done here in Pittsburgh."

Fuck. Chris, I told you.  I told you to be careful.

"I don't need the lecture, Mackie.  I need help, ok?  I need to take care of her and Charlie now."

He can hear Anthony sigh before he says, what do you need?

"Can you have Scarlett grab some clothes for Becca as well as her laptop?  Also, I don't know where Charlie is but..."

Charlie is with Scarlett today.

"Ok, can you make sure Scarlett is ok with keeping her for tonight?  We have to go back to court in the morning, but Becca just needs a moment."

You got it.  He falls silent for a moment.  I'm gonna miss playing with you.

"Me too.  But it's what right.  Mackie, this girl and her daughter is what I was missing in my life. I'll still be there, just not playing.  He's making me dress and sit."

That's fucked up. What is Rooney thinking?

"He thinks its punishment.  And it is... to the team.  They don't deserve this. For that, I'm sorry.  But I will never regret choosing my girls."

Chris hung up with Anthony and texted Seb and Lizzy.  They took care of her car and that they were picking up something to eat for them.  Chris took a moment.  This was huge.  He was changing his life but the reward, the reward of his family was worth it.  He grabbed a couple of highball glasses and his scotch and took them back to the living room.  Becca had laid down, her hands under her head. "Angel?"

"This wasn't supposed to happen.  This wasn't what I wanted for you Chris.  You are supposed to be great.  The next Montana, the next Brees. This is all my fault."

"No, Angel.  It's not. Hey, let's just rest today, ok? It was a big day and I promise we'll talk about it but not right now.  Right now, I just want to hold you. Charlie is gonna stay with Scarlett tonight and Seb and Lizzy are bringing some food.  Everything is going to be ok, I promise."

She nodded as he lifted her head and sat with her head in his lap.  He stroked her hair to calm her.  "I can't believe this is happening."

"Shh Angel. Don't think about it now. Just rest, my Angel." He feels her settle and he eases a pillow under her.  He gets ups, checks on Dodger before sitting at his piano.  He hasn't played in a while.  But he feels the urge. He softly hits the keys.

Wise men say

Only fools rush in

But I can't help

Falling in love with you.

Shall I stay?

Would it be a sin?

If I can't help

Falling in love with you

Like a river flows

Surely to the sea

Darling so it does

Some things are mean to be

Take my hand

Take my whole life too

But before he can sing the next line, a hand slides over his. And Becca sings its