Chapter Ten - A new Life

Start from the beginning

"Oh." I looked at them around me. I knew what this meant and it was a shit show, that needed to be well put together and quickly.

"Okay."

"Grace? Grace?!" Connor called from the laptop.  I lifted the screen up and he he knew something was wrong."

"What happened."

"I'll tell him." Ben said and I handed the laptop to him. Then turned to everyone else.

"Okay, all of you out. Rose, I'll speak with Mr Trumbull and have a call connected to Miss Jacobs and Mike for me as well."

"Grace you don't have to do that." I looked at the two and shooed them out.

"You have just lost a great friend and ally. Anything to make this easier, yes I will. Now speak with Connor." I left the Oval office and went to my own office.

"Ma'am, Vice President on line one." Clarissa informed me as i entered

"Thank you." I closed the door behind me and grabbed the phone pressing button number one.

"Hello Allan." I smiled slightly

"Mrs Asher? I thought I was being put through to the President." He replied

"You were and then in the space of a minute everything changed. I hate to be the one to cut your trip short but it's all hands on deck." I answered "We need you back here."

"What happened?"

"Prime Minister James Wilson, he's just passed away. We just got thew news." I explained

"I see."

"And we all know what this means."

"State funeral." he answered and I hummed in response, it wasn't just us and state funerals were usually a spare of the moment but it was tightened when the death was premature.

"Correct, sorry."

"It's fine, I will be back shortly." He agreed, not that he had much choice, with Ben having to go to England he would be in temporary charge until we got back.

"I tell you what, next time you'll get an extra three days." He chuckled

"That would be nice." we said our goodbyes and then spoke to Lynne. We dispensed with the niceties. I knew her position.

"I just heard."

"Yeah, nothing is ever simply when your a leader is it. Think you come up with a plan in time."

"Do you not know me at all?" I chuckled, of course she would have, it wouldn't be easy but there is no one i trusted more.

"Silly question. I'll call Mike." I groaned "You know this was supposed to be baby prep week. I'm so dead."

"Your over exaggerating." she scoffed and I rolled my eyes

"No, I'm not. You know it. I'll talk with you later." I then phoned Mike. Leah answered

"Hello."

"Hi Leah, It's Grace. You're not gonna like it but I need to speak with Mike." I spoke and heard her sigh.

"He's going away isn't he?" I didn't answer cause she already knew. "I'll put him on." I heard shuffling about.

"It's Grace. Don't worry, my mom can come over."  there was the exchange of the phone  before hearing Mike's voice.

"Hey Gracie." he answered

"Hey, sorry to be the barer of bad news but its time to come in."

"Okay. I'll talk to Lynne and see you later."

"Alright." I hung up and rubbed my face. State funerals, sucked majorly. But needs must and all that.

------

I sat up in bed that night reading, over some documents Ben asked me to go through.

"You do know I'm coming with your right?" I directed towards my husband. He looked up from what he was working on.

"What?" he asked

"To the funeral." I clarified and he put down his papers giving me his full attention.

"No, Grace." he denied

"Yes. I'm not taking no for an answer this time. Planned trips fine, all well in advice paranoid circumstances covered to the full. But last minute ones where I especially have a bad feeling. Yes." there wasn't room for argument.

"And who will look after Elizabeth? That and Connor's coming home the day after tomorrow." I raised my eyebrow he groaned "I don't mean it like that."

"Too late. My Mother is coming to stay and Connor likes her. " I turn fully to face him.

"You'll be much safer here." I roll my eyes.

"Of course I will" I drawled not believing him "Because my name is something other than Grace Carter Asher. Ben, I have taken a backseat on a lot of stuff. It's what I needed to do as a wife, mother and first lady. But you're not talking me out of it." He sighed. "You're not winning this one either, I've already told Lynne and Mike about it."

"Fine."

"Good." I kissed him and went back to what I was doing.