Chapter Eight - Light and Grace

-3P-

Ben Asher woke up feeling groggy after the past 18 hours. He opened his eyes and looked around. The first thing that managed to catch his eye was the young woman sleeping in the chair.

"Grace." there was nothing "Grace." he called louder

"Chocolate M and M's" she shot up he chuckled and she rubbed her eyes. Seeing he was awake

"Oh, hey you." She smiled which he returned

-Grace-

"Hey you." I sat up properly and rubbed my eyes. I must have does off from the lack of sleep and the painkillers that I had been given.

"How long have you been here?" He asked me and I glanced around the room then back to him.

"Here in this room or here alone?" I wonder

"Either."

"Alone not long I think but three of us a few hours. Mike and I got patched up then came here." I answered

"Where's Connor."

"Getting something to eat with Mike. They should be back soon. " he nodded

"How are you feeling, sir?" I questioned

"Grace, after saving my life you have at least earned the right to call me Ben in private." I blushed slightly and cleared my throat

"Well, Ben."

"Exhausted." I hummed "Your arm is in a sling." he observed changing the subject. i glanced down at my new accessory.

"Yeah. Apparently, kicking ass and shooting people really shouldn't be done with a gunshot wound. Doctors are beyond suprised that I lasted that long. But what can I say I'm just that amazing."

"Are you always that crazy or i'm I just noticing it more?" He chuckled and winced holding onto where he had been shot.

"The latter. My adoptive mother has a even crazier theory, wanna hear it?"

"What's that?" He inquired

"A man will actually calm the fast car zooming around the space that supposed to have a decent brain." he laughed and I did as well. It was a crazy notion that she had, that a man would change everything and would make me settle in more ways than one.

"Maybe one day." He chimed

"Puh-lese. It would take some man to calm this internal weirdness down. It's wired to settle at one thing. Decent work." Mike and Connor came back in just then. Connor saw that his Dad was awake.

"Dad." I stood up and smiled at the two.

"I'm going to get some sleep." I told Mike who nodded. I was taken home and spark out on my bed instantly, under the caring and watchful eye of my mother.

---------

It had been six months since the attack, the country was still in a state of shock but had began the process to heal. No one would forget where they were that day, even though they would try their best to.

"We've lost good friends, family. All good people. Heroes every one of them. Our hearts and prayers go out to their families. And they will be remembered. Nor will we forget those who serve out of the spotlight, to whom we owe the highest gratitude. Our foe did not only come to destroy our things or our people. They came to desicrate our way of life.

To foul our beliefs. Trample our freedom. And in this not only did they fail, they granted us our greatest gift. A chance at rebirth. We will rise renewed. Stronger and United. This is our time, our chance to get back the best of who we are. To lead by example with the dignity, integrity and honour that built this country. Which will build once again. May god bless you and may god bless the United States of America." I watched the epic speech from the sideline.

He came down to everyone clapping and shook Mikes hand and then mine. We had been restored to his security detail. I looked at Mike smiling before I followed him.

"Vey good Mr President." I smiled he turned and looked at me then back at the door where only Mike stood not looking at us.

"Thank you. Miss Carter." He tucked a stray lock of hair behind my ear and turned back around. Okay so something may have started from the ashes of everything that had happened. If anyone but Mike knew at this point they were keeping it to themselves.