| xxiii ; let the games begin

Start from the beginning

Her eyes, Y/N realised at that second. Akina said she was able to see their opponent's future when she looked at them. So if she can't see...

Y/N quickly sunk into her shadow, disappearing from their sights. The siblings looked around, eyeing the nearby shadows in case Y/N appeared from there.

"Shadow Cursed Manipulation: Shadow Prison Hunting Ground."

Akio and Akina's shadows suddenly extended and increased in height, covering them from the outside world. Their guards raised in alarm as they could not see anything.

"If you can't see me," Y/N's voice echoed in the chamber. "Then you can't be ahead of me."

Immediately, Akio doubled over as a kick to his stomach was felt. He felt another kick to his back, another to his face, another to his side. He felt his lips bleeding from the impact, and knew he was done for.

"Thank you for the short, yet amusing little battle," Y/N said from behind them. "Now, sleep."

In an instant, Y/N hit the back of their necks, knocking them unconscious and therefore, automatically withdrawn from the battle. The shadows dwindled back to their original masters as they were back on the field.

"Gimodelo," Y/N called out the Grade 1 Cursed Spirit. "Take them back to the infirmary."

"Yes, Master Y/N."

Gimodelo transformed into its original form and picked up the two siblings before it disappeared into its shadow, now off to do its task.

Y/N looked around, "What should I do now?" She began thinking when she suddenly remembered about Inumaki, who was searching for the Grade 2 Cursed Spirit. She closed her eyes, falling into her shadow before she reappeared next to Inumaki.

"Boo."

Inumaki jolted as he turned around before cursing in his language.

Y/N looked at him offended before she raised her hands, "I'm just here to help you out."

She then noticed Megumi's Divine Dog and heard snoring from the phone he was holding. It said Kasumi Miwa on the caller ID and guessed that Inumaki used his cursed speech on her.

Inumaki ended the call as he threw away the phone and patted Divine Dog's head, "Return." The shikigami disappeared into its shadow and returned to Megumi.

"So, have you found the-"

A sudden aura had entered their surroundings, alerting the two sorcerers. It was dark and ominous, its cursed energy incredibly high which likely meant it was a Special Grade Cursed Spirit.

"Kelp," Inumaki muttered as he got into his stance.

Stomp. Stomp. Stomp.

Time passed by incredibly slow as they stood incredibly still. The beating of their hearts suddenly became the loudest thing they could hear. The sorcerers eyed a line of trees and suddenly saw the tongue of a cursed spirit. It looked at them before its eyes rolled up, and its head fell to the ground.

Moments after, a second figure appeared. Masculine body with visible black lines running across its body. Branches sprouted out from where its eyes were supposed to be and two prominent zig-zag lines down its face. It wore baggy pants and a white cloth that covered its left shoulder.

"Salmon, salmon roe, spicy cod roe."

"Inumaki?" Y/N looked at him in worry.

"Kelp," He said with a nod.

The cursed spirit stopped in its tracks once it took notice of Y/N and Inumaki's presence. Y/N summoned out her sword, inhaling and exhaling deeply to calm her nerves. It lifted its hand and multiple branches shot straight at them.