54

SITTING ON A CHAIR WAS SIOBHÁN Parten, sketching a drawing in James Potter's Head Boy dorm. Ever since yesterday, Siobhán had been on edge about the war brewing. Her family was at risk of death due to the Dark Lord's doings. It filled her mind with intrusive thoughts, the worse of the war getting the best of her.

"I brought you pumpkin pasties." James entered his dormitory. Siobhán glanced at the boy who had a box full of pumpkin pasties in his hand. "I asked the house elves to make them fresh."

"You didn't have to." Siobhán stood up from the table. James walked towards her and opened the box. She grabbed one, taking a bite. "It's delicious as always. Just the way I like it." James smiled while placing the box on the table.

"So, about yesterday..." He began. "I want to talk about the future if that's okay?" Siobhán dusted her hands off and went on James's bed. James took this as a cue to follow. "As I said before, I fear the future."

Siobhán heaved out a sigh. "The future is all about uncertainty. There will never be a time when everything is just how you want. That's why you must seize every opportunity by the balls. Whatever feels best, you should do it without hesitancy."

"You certainly have a way with words." James cracked a smile. "Balls?" Siobhán rolled her eyes. "But you're right. I won't have everything I've ever wanted. Sometimes the things you already have give the most happiness."

"And as for after graduating, we can talk about it." Siobhán placed loose strands of hair behind her ears. James didn't know what to say. There were so many things he wanted to do but so little time. He thought about his friends and his family; how affected their lives would be. What is there to live without the ones you love? He didn't want to think about that possibility. James wanted everyone he knew to be safe. He wanted them to prosper and live. Without worry, without that sense of abandonment. He wanted to show the world who he was, selfless and righteous.

"James?" Siobhán questioned with a worried look. James glanced at her and saw the woman he loved. Siobhán Parten was the love of his life, the one person he could count on forever. Without her, there would be darkness. He would be incandescently lost. She was the sole purpose of his ambition to be better.

"What do you see for yourself in the future?" James abruptly asked. Siobhán furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "How would your life be?" Siobhán went deep into thought. She remembered their conversation in the astronomy tower. She had said she wanted to be a successful woman and a mother. But with the stakes of the war, she was starting to doubt herself.

"Remember the time at the astronomy tower?" Siobhán fiddled with her fingers. James nodded. "I wanted to be a successful woman and a mother. I'm not so sure if that's possible anymore." James shook his head at her words.

"It's very much possible." James took her hands in his own. "The war won't stop you from doing what you want. If you want something, you'll do it. You want to be a mother, so be it. No one can define your choices but yourself."

"Since when did you become so wise?" Siobhán gave him a toothy smile. James shrugged his shoulders, fighting back a smile of his own.

"Well, there's this girl that I met." He told. "Ever since we began talking, I've become the best version of myself. There's no one else that could've made this happen." Siobhán playfully shoved him, earning a chuckle from the boy.

"Very flattering, James." She rolled her eyes. James pulled her closer to him, almost laughing. "What has you almost falling off the bed?"

"You." He cheekily retorted. "It's how hard I fall for you." Siobhán gave him a look, crossing her arms. "Okay, sorry. It's all my thoughts that have me jumpy."