Looming Dangers

Xenovia

As Xenovia made her way down the secret hallway, she could not help but feel anxious. No, it wasn't because she feared Halvar, or because she was worried about facing backlash from the king of Ruto. What she truly worried about was her father's reaction. Until now she had only brought the subject of her engagement up once, and at the time he seemed to all but ignore her objections. He kept saying that Halvar was a good man and that the two of them would marry and be happy, and that she was better off with him than with anyone else. But now Xenovia knew full well that her fiancé was an underhanded and devious type of person, one whom she deemed incapable of feeling love for anyone except himself.

Still, her father's refusal to listen had been a somewhat jarring experience, even frightening to Xenovia. For she was made to accept that in the end, her father had the final say regarding her fate. And if he wanted to, her could ignore her protests no matter how reasonable her words were. The same would hold true if she married Halvar, since he would then be her husband. Which meant that, at the ripe age of twenty-one, she would be forced to go from one man's guardianship to another. Ever since that realization, Xenovia had done everything in her power to keep on her best behavior. She focused on her studies and her training, excelling at both until her teachers were left astounded. It was all in anticipation of this day where she would finally speak her mind before her father and her fiancé, not as a simple princess, but as a full grown and sensible woman. For, if she merely tried to throw a fit or cry about the issue, it would only result in her father siding with Halvar. In all, this plan had taken eleven full months to properly set up. But Xenovia knew that finally, all her hard work and planning would be worth it. Once she convinced the king to call off the wedding, she could finally rest easy. But for now, she would have to remain on her toes for a while longer.

As Xenovia turned the corner, she saw the exit which would lead directly inside the king's throne room. Her heart told her to run towards her destiny, but her mind immediately told her to stay calm and walk at an even pace. When she arrived, voices could be heard on the other side of the wooden door.

It must be father and Halvar.

Carefully, she opened the door, making sure not to make any unnecessary sounds. The voice got a bit louder, though she only detected two of them, verifying that the two men she needed to talk to most were indeed alone. So, as quietly as she could, Xenovia stepped out of the passageway and into the room. As she came into view of the throne, she caught sight of her fiancé and the king. They stood talking around the large, table-like map board. It was often used when discussing trade routes and where to build barricades or bases. She approached quietly, hoping to meet them without causing a disturbance to their conversation. However, her father happened to glance up and see her. Xenovia gulped as they made eye contact, yet she stood her ground.

"Father, I-"

"Ah, my daughter, you came at last." He said, looking somewhat pleased.

"Finally." Her fiancé mumbled.

Xenovia froze and cast her gaze towards the men. Halvar didn't even bother to look up, yet it seems they had both been waiting for her. But how could they have known she was on her way to meet them like this in private? Had they anticipated her efforts to confront them, perhaps?

No, Halvar would surely be irritated to learn of such unruly actions. After all, he liked his women mild and dainty. Which could only mean that one of them had sent for her after she slipped out of her room. Xenovia wasn't sure what was going on here exactly, but she knew the only wise course was to follow along.

"Good-day, my king, my prince." She said with a small curtsy. "I apologize for my absence this morning. I was sick in bed."

"So I heard." Halvar replied with a grunt.

"How are you feeling now, Xenovia?" Her father inquired.

"Much better, thank you."

"Good, good. That makes this easier then."

Makes what easier?

Now it seems it was her fiancé's turn to talk, as he was finally compelled to raise his head to meet her stare. His dark brown curls were unusually messy, and his copper eyes looked weary from an apparent lack of sleep. His stern gaze seemed angry, impatient, and full of a strong determination.

It was crazy how someone so handsome could be so unappealing at the same time...

"My dear, I will be frank." He began, speaking such sweet words with a voice as cold as ice. "I have come here to make you my wife at long last. Tomorrow night we will wed, and the day after that the two of us shall travel back to Ruto, when you shall settle into my father's palace with ease."

"What!?" Xenovia snapped, unable to keep up her mild-tempered demeanor.

She turned to her father, but his eyes already betrayed the truth. "Xenovia, I know you have been hesitant about your engagement, but I am not left with much choice today."

"What do you mean you are not left with much choice? Are you the king, or not?"

Halvar chuckled. "Throwing a tantrum will do you no good, my sweet princess. For the land of The North has declared war on the entire continent. If our marriage continues to be delayed our enemies will see it as a sign of weakness."

"Hold on...the land of The North has declared war?"

"Yes, which means we have no more time left for your silly games. Your efforts to delay the inevitable only highlight your childish way of thinking, Xenovia." Her fiancé added.

"So, selling off one's own child is the mark of a mature mindset?" She shot back.

"Xenovia!" Her father hissed. "That is enough."

She clenched her fists. No, it wasn't enough. Not by a long shot!