Advertisement

The following sheets are printed for the benefit of Mr. Psalmanazar's executrix; who thought it right to prefix his LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT, as the best introduction to them. Mr. Psalmanazar's first intimation of giving this public account of himself, may be found under the article Formosa, in the COMPLETE SYSTEM OF GEOGRAPHY, in which he assisted as a writer. Where he was born, and who were his parents, do not yet appear for certain; even in these posthumous memoirs he has endeavoured to keep them inviolable secrets. From circumstances however there is little reason to doubt, but that he was a native of France: indeed he spoke the French language so well, beyond what is usual when attained by grammar or travel only, that we do not question to say, He was a Frenchman. His pronunciation had a spice of the Gascon accent, and in that provincial dialect he was so masterly, that none but those born in the country could equal, none though born there could excel him: for notwithstanding it may be esteemed but a patois, or jargon, yet foreigners find it impracticable to be spoken with propriety, and with that fluency and vivacity peculiar to those people: and from this we presume, that some part of Languedoc may lay claim to his birth. The Reverend Mr. Villette, who was intimately acquainted with him for upwards of four and twenty years, (and had many opportunities to observe him, and to know him well) has communicated these conjectures, which the judicious reader, perhaps, will see sufficiently confirmed from several passages in the memoirs themselves.