I'm even interviewing to work at a coffee shop soon. I told Daemon that it's because I want job experience, but the truth is that I feel overwhelmingly guilty that he pays for everything. The house, our food, basically all my stuff, as well. Not like I have any parents to give me an allowance.

I mean, Lucien would, but that would also make me feel guilty. So I decided that getting a part time job is a good option. I know Daemon has more than enough to support us, I just can't help but feel that responsibility to pitch in.

"You excited for the play?" Jay jerks me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, yeah...but I feel like we didn't really get given major roles. I mean, not that I'd want one, anyway," I sigh. If only I had more confidence.

"Hey, backstage workers are just as important as actors!" He reassures me, "And what would they do without me?"

"You're a tree," I laugh, shaking my head.

"They wouldn't be breathing, how about that? No more carbon monoxide for them,"

"There are so many things about what you just said that make no sense," I roll my eyes.

Before Jay can say anything else, a brute force suddenly knocks into me and I nearly fall over, if Jay weren't there to grab my shoulders and steady me. We both look toward the perpetrator.

"Watch it, runt," Trent spits, causing Jay to growl.

"Fuck off," Jay glares at him, but Trent only ignores him, sauntering off like the stupid troll he is.

"He's so annoying," I huff, crossing my arms, "I should threaten him with Daemon. Then he'd think twice about messing with us,"

Jay looks unhappy, scratching his neck as he avoids eye contact with me. "I...can still protect you from him, you know. I mean, I know I was never able to get him expelled like I said I would..."

"It's alright, really! The proof that he was the one that dropped that sandbag is probably long gone, anyways,"

Jay doesn't really say anything more on the topic after that, and I suspect he feels bad for not being able to do more about Trent. But there's nothing I can really do to make him feel better.

*

I'm backstage, my stomach full of nervous butterflies. It's not like there's much to be scared of, but big events always give me anxiety. The play has already started, but we're not even half way through.

"Ash! Ash!" I hear Ms. Harlow calling me from the changing room.

I turn as she approaches, my palms sweaty. What's happening?

"Ash, our actor for the peasant boy is sick and the understudy just hurt his leg. You studied the lines, right? I need you to do it!"

My eyes go wide, my stomach plummeting. "M-Ms. Harlow—I don't think—"

"Nonsense, sweetie! You can do it!" She aggressively smiles at me, wrapping a brown shawl around me for the costume.

I shake my head, looking around for help but what I see is Trent in the corner, smirking with his arms crossed. I immediately know how the other understudy 'hurt his leg.' Trent was behind it. All because he knows I've never had it in me to perform and he wants to humiliate me.

But I have no time to confront him because Ms. Harlow is ushering me past the curtains and before I can stop her she's pushing me out onto the stage. I stumble out, blinking in the harsh overhead lights. I freeze in place, taking in the giant audience watching me. Expecting me to play my part.