001. we're friends, officially?

Start from the beginning

"On second thought, it looks great." Theo sent his wife a smile.

The phone began to ring, all three Monroe's attentions turning to it. The two parents stared at Avery until she sighed, walking over to the phone and answering it.

"Hello?" Avery greeted.

"Hey Avery." Nancy's voice came through the speakers.

"Oh hey Nance." Avery spoke.

"I was wondering if you wanted to come over and hang out." Nancy began nervously. "Mike just raided my room for money so he could go to the arcade because he's an annoying asshole and now I'm bored and uh..."

"I would love to come over and hang out with you." Avery agreed, nodding her head despite Nancy not being able to see her.

"Awesome." Enthusiasm ran through Nancy's tone.

"See you soon." Avery hung up the phone, turning back to her parents who shared a look before nodding. Avery smiled, bouncing over to them and kissing them both of the cheek before grabbing her shoes and running to the door. "I'll be back later."

"Bye." Lorelai and Theo waved goodbye.

Avery left the house, grabbing her bike and cycling to the Wheeler's house. When she arrived, she leant her bike up against the house before walking over and knocking on the door. Nancy answered it quickly, smiling at the brunette before leading Avery to her bedroom. The two sat on Nancy's bed, the brunette looked at Avery, a nervous look on her face.

"You okay Nance?" Avery asked the girl.

"Yeah I'm fine." Nancy spoke quickly, making Avery raise her eyebrows at the girl. "Okay well this is a bit weird, and I'm kind of, like, I'm a bit, you know."

"Nervous?" Avery finished for her.

"Yeah." Nancy nodded. "I've just not had very many friends my entire life, and I haven't had any girlfriends since Barb so I just, I don't want history repeating itself."

"Nancy, you aren't to blame for Barb's death you know that, right? And you aren't some kind of death magnet, okay, you getting close to someone or becoming friends with people won't kill them." Avery told her, Nancy's bottom lip trembling slightly.

"I just, I feel like I could've done something to save Barb and that if I get close to anyone else, the same thing's gonna happen." Nancy sniffled.

Avery moved to hug Nancy, the girls quickly wrapping their arms around each other, "Nance, there wasn't anything you could've done to save Barb, and nothing is gonna happen if you become friends with other people."

"You think?"

"I know." Avery pulled away, looking Nancy in the eyes.

"Does this mean, we're like friends, officially now?" Nancy asked, a scared look in her eyes.

"Well, let's just say I don't come to people who I am not friends with houses at night and give them pep talks." Avery laughed slightly, Nancy doing the same. "We're friends Nance, and when nothing happens to me, I can say I told you so."

Nancy laughed, "I can't wait."

Avery suddenly perked up, "I have an idea." Nancy looked at her slightly scared but agreed nonetheless.

Avery could tell that Nancy though helping her dye her hair blonde the night before school started again was not on the list of things she would do as a friend. The two girls had walked to the nearest convenience store before they sat in Nancy's bedroom.

Avery sat on a stool in front of Nancy, both of them making eye contact in the mirror. She was wearing an old t-shirt that Nancy had allowed her to borrow. Her brown hair had been separated into bits. The bottom bits being slathered in bleach.