[SNEAK PEEK #2] Chapter Two (second draft/revamped version)

Start from the beginning

“Needed a friend,” I snap. “I’m outta’ here.”

Kyler reaches for me. I take a step back.

“What the hell is wrong with you? You act like you’re better than everyone else.”

Excuse me?”

He narrows his eyes. “I’ve been trying to get your attention for two years now!” His voice rises and I search the area to make sure people aren’t still eavesdropping. “No one at school would give you the time of day. But I tried. What’s so bad about me?”

“Saying that I think I’m better than everyone else won’t win me over,” I say.

“You’re a real piece of work, you know that?”

“Yeah, I've been told that a time or two,” I add.

I watch his shoulders rise and fall in perfect rhythm. His breathing is heavy, and I can feel heat radiate off from sun kissed skin. For a fleeting moment, I start to reach out for his hand. The way he stands up to my stubbornness causes a spark in my emotions. I stand my ground, however, and my hand doesn’t budge.

He’s too close, I think, and take an additional step backward.

“I like you, Iris,” Kyler admits. “I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings. I didn’t mean it, honestly.” His eyes aren’t blinking. He’s staring, waiting for my response.

I let out a not-so-sincere laugh. “Why do you even try? Since the Borrowed Law we can't procreate, Kyler. So why even bother loving someone you can’t ever have a fulfilling life with?" Kyler's face reddens at the mentioning of procreate.

Mom told me once, “Just because you can’t have children of your own doesn’t mean you can’t fall in love, Irissa. People that aren’t able to have children still lead fulfilling lives.” It doesn’t matter; I can’t have children, anyway. I’m content with living alone for the rest of my life after I fulfill my duty. And in order for me to remain in Arid, the good province, I can never go against PURE.

“Fine, you’re sorry, I get it. We’re running late.” I push past him, grazing my arm against his. Kyler is still watching me walk away. I’ve got a feeling that his eyes are inspecting me, and seconds later the sound of his footsteps storm off in the opposite direction.

“Why do you even bother, Kyler Hart?” I whisper.

The confrontation with Kyler near my loft has left me with muddled feelings. So I hurry toward the bus stop, letting the summer breeze carry away my worries. The heat of the sun beats against my ivory skin, attempting to leave a burn.

Sighing, I plop down on the bench hidden beneath a glass casing. The sun’s rays can’t penetrate the barrier, but the heat can. Beads of sweat roll down between my shoulder blades and the stifling air becomes suffocating. I lean back, resting my head, and close my eyes. The pills my mom gave me are working, I feel relaxed. Traffic is heavy at this hour and I curse to myself. Maybe if I’m late, they will kick me out of the selection process. Who would want an irresponsible girl carrying inside her a precious designer baby?

That’s what the local press is calling them. PURE, the sole creator is calling them Seraphim. Angelic-like, and free of any genetic deformities. They’re not angelic to me, though, they are a slap in the face to all humankind.

This is just another attempt at controlling society. PURE should know that one wrong doesn’t make a right. Heck, mom told me that once. They created the Swarm. Now they want to create perfection?

I should just run away and disappear from all this. This thought keeps crossing my mind at least one hundred times in the past few months.