Slow Night, So Long

Season 7, Episode 9

I never went to sleep after the party. I stayed up all night, helping the nurses fill out charts. Stark taught me that if I earn their respect, my time as a doctor will be better and easier. I proceeded to sleep the whole next day, though, because all of the residents in my group were working their first night shift. I woke up around 5 pm, knowing everyone else would be getting here at 6:30.

I needed to get ahead. I'm the newbie.

By 6 pm, I had officially memorized all of the charts in the hospital and met a majority of the patients, the trauma and ER sections being the only exceptions. ER and trauma are my favorites, so I'm hoping to get to work in one of those areas tonight.

I was talking to Dr. Samuel Phillips. He's a young nurse with a Ph.D. in Biology, so he's technically a doctor I guess. He's 24, so he's one of the only staff members a bit closer in age to me.

When I saw Mark and Callie I excused myself from the conversation with Sam. I walked over to the pair of good friends with a smile, "Are y'all going home soon?"

Mark grumbled, "No. All of the Attendings are heading to the bar, except me, because I have post-ops for another 30 minutes since we barely had any residents during the day."

I held out my hand, "I can do those for you."

Mark looked surprised, "Seriously?"

Callie shook her head, "Mark, don't you dare make that young man do your post-ops."

I smiled at Callie, "He's not making me do anything; I'm offering. How else am I gonna fit in here? I need to work hard if I'm gonna prove my worth to the chief and the other attendings and residents."

Mark placed a stack of clipboards in my hands, "Alright, then. Thanks, Solace. I appreciate it."

I grinned, "Have fun at the bar." Callie and Mark waved to me as they walked towards the elevator, "Don't drink too much! Call me if you need a ride!"

They smiled at me as the elevator closed.

I looked down at the clipboards in my hands, "I got this. I totally got this."

OssssssO

3rd POV

Mark and Callie met Teddy and Miranda at the bottom of the stairs. Teddy smiled at Mark, "You made it?"

He smiled back, "You know it."

Callie rolled her eyes, playfully, "He gave all of his post ops to Will."

Mark shrugged, "The kid offered."

Miranda raised her eyebrows, "Who's Will? And who the hell would ever offer to do post ops?"

Callie answered, "Dr. Will Solace is the new transfer resident from Mass Gen. He's genuine, and wanted Mark to go have fun. He's a sweet kid, and a great doctor despite being on the younger side."

Miranda scoffed, "I want a Will."

Robert Stark joined the group, "Everyone wants a Will."

OssssssO

Will POV

After finishing all of Marks post ops and giving the patients skittles, I was paged to the front of the hospital by Dr. Hunt.

I immediately sprinted towards the stairs.

Here's some advice: If your paged, no matter how urgent, RUN.

I jumped down each flight of stairs, not worrying about getting hurt. This is what I was trained for and I trust myself to not fall on my face... anymore.